No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Cloudy/ Streaky Glass Vase - Nazeing? ID = Nazeing, unusual colour  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
I've just bought this beautiful large vase with cloudy streaks of green and brown cased powders. My guess is 1930s British. I've looked through Hajdamach's 20th Century British Glass and a few other books but can find nothing quite like it. It's about 12 1/4 inches (31 cm) tall. The pontil mark has been ground and polished, though there's still a trace of the scar to the centre.

If anyone has any suggestions as to maker I'd be very grateful. :)

Thanks,

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Large Cloudy/ Streaky Glass Vase - Nazeing?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 02:22:44 PM »
I'm sticking my neck on the block here, but it looks a lot more like Grey-Stan than Nazeing to me!

Better wait for those who know a lot more than me before you start doing victory dances though.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »
The way the enamels work eliminate Gray-Stan but I have seen that dark green as on the base somewhere.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »
Steven I was searching for info on my pink cloudy vase after Nigel kindly id'd it for me and came across this link below.  Could your vase be Stevens and Williams?  I have no idea if the shape would be right so I could be way off beam here but there seemed to be similarities  :-\
http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/DMUSE_ST456/
m

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:04:24 AM »
nice little vase, hope you find maker, also love the scent bottle and stopper by stevens and williams, i want one
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
The link to a Stevens and Williams scent bottle is useful, since I didn't know about it, but you're not analysing what you're looking at - the two things bare no relationship with each other. Thickness of glass, the way the enamel's laid in, the crackle effect, the age, etc., etc.

The vase from this thread doesn't relate to anything I am aware of by S&W / Royal Brierley.

The shape is recorded as by Nazeing. Although the colour combination is unusual, I can see the pull-ups coming through the two colours, which is a Nazeing trait, as is the way the pontil is finished. I would therefore go with pre-war Nazeing.

Nigel

PS. Steven,  Any chance you could send me high res images and accurate measurements, so that I can add it to the records I hold? Thanks, Nigel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 09:30:38 PM »
Glad it was helpful in one way Nigel. 
In my defence I couldn't actually enlarge that Stevens and Williams scent bottle image as my computer kept freezing it when I tried, so all I could work from was a vague similarity of splashy dark colour on lighter base colour really.  I wasn't able to do any more than compare that, hence me just saying there seemed to be similarities (this is not assuming that even had I been able to open it, I would have actually been able to properly compare the two images as you have - I just don't have the experience of handling glass to do so).  Still, it was meant as another avenue to perhaps explore and in doing so, it generated an id  :rah: :rah:
(One day, I'm going to find a nice fat piece of Graystan or a Caerleon piece by S&W and surprise you with my knowledge  ;D ...or I might actually make it to Broadfield House one day and get to look through the S&W pattern books for my vase - I am trying to learn  :angel:)
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:34:43 AM »
Knew I had seen those colours  ;D And other elements are consistent with Nazeing too. Ohh I wish my books could be accessed, the grey matter is flunking.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 09:00:37 PM »
Thank you very much Nigel! It's good to get a firm attribution for this vase - it is a gorgeous piece and is one of the items I'll be keeping and taking with me to Shanghai when we make the move there at the end of the year.

I'm more than happy to send you the hi-res versions of the pics. it may take a little while though as I'm quite busy with the new baby and with working away from home for the next several weeks.

Thanks again :)

Steven

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 09:28:11 PM »
... Shanghai when we make the move there at the end of the year....

Wow, going to study Chinese glass at source?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand