No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone know this 'BRAMAH'?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Anyone know this 'BRAMAH'?
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »
In the usual frantic Sunday morning box diving, I picked this up because I thought it was the Davidson 'BRAMA'.   Not, of course, in view of the spelling - so does anyone know this 'BRAMAH'?    About 2"/50mm high, and quite possibly a blue glass liner from part of a metal table unit of some description - for salt, sugar, mustard etc.   The top rim is ground/polished and very slightly bevelled, so reasonable quality.    thanks for looking.  :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Anyone know this 'BRAMAH'?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:56:14 PM »
Frank has a mention of coffee jugs being made for BRAMAH by John Moncrieff on Scotland's Glass here: http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119:john-moncrieff-history&catid=24:john-moncrieff-limited&Itemid=13 - and there was an Edward BRAMAH (1931-2008) who was a tea planter, tea taster, and coffee broker: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3141 - I think the BRAMAH in each link is the same one!

Might be an avenue worth pursuing...  :thup:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 08:05:55 PM »
sincere thanks Anne - although I was unable to open your first link.   Potentially very interesting, and I will certainly try  both a little later. :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:57:21 PM »
I think Bramah are out of of business now but had a range of coffee and tea things. Possibly a sugar or strainer rest (if big enough)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:35:35 PM »
In view of the 'embossed' projection on the bottom, I would have thought this not a stand alone item - it becomes unstable and wobbles - so I would think almost certainly a liner for some metal unit, of some description.  I will almost certainly pass this into a charity shop at some time, but thanks for the help people, and the links very interesting. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 08:57:04 PM »
Feel sure you will forgive this flippant piece of humour  -  just realized that this liner makes a good companion as shown with a Bagley Elf Posy vase 3010 (frosted pink) in the 8" size.   Uses might include - for condiments - soup bowl for small people - something to put water in for your pussy - and if you were tight-fisted, for sweets on Halloween night ;)   But seriously, if anyone has a flower block (with the hole) plus the Pelican (in frosted pink) - please do let me know. ;D.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand