No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Scandanavian Glass ?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline conan the librarian

• Members
Mystery Scandanavian Glass ?
« on: November 04, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »
Hi - I a couple of unmarked pieces of glass at auction recently - but after a fair amount of research I've not been able to identify the (though I think the first may be a schnapps flask ?) so I would appreciate it if anybody out there could help me to pin them down.

The alleged Scnapps Flask stands approx 17cm high is made of a very thick gauge of a pewter coloured glass and has a polished pontil with an inscribed number 6 (or possibly g ?). The piece has an abstract figure on the front (Sami ?) and trees and birds to the reverse.

The second piece stands approx 26 cm high is made of amethyst coloured glass and has a polished pontil. The piece has an abstract representation of the sun on the front.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Mystery Scandanavian Glass ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »
Welcome to the board Paul, sorry no idea about your vase or perhaps it is it a carafe.

Your first item does look to be a schnapps decanter and probably would have had a cork and metal stopper like this one: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,24467.0.html - assuming the inside of the neck has not been ground for a stopper to fit.
My hunch is that it may be a design by Wiktor Berndt for Flygsfors (Sweden), it has his style about it, more so than say Erik Hoglund or Bertil Vallien.

John

Offline conan the librarian

• Members
Re: Mystery Scandanavian Glass ?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 05:49:09 PM »
Many Thanks John - I see what you mean about Wiktor Berndt - there are certainly similarities with some of his other designs - I'll keep looking.

Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand