No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help EAPG Identification  (Read 4557 times)

Offline mrphil1997

• Members
Help EAPG Identification
« on: November 07, 2010, 12:43:29 AM »
Can someone be able to help me identify EAPG tumblers?  

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dinklepip

• Members
Re: Help EAPG Identification
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 12:43:51 PM »
second image looks like Brockwitz to me

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »
has someone told you it is Early American, or is it perhaps the depression style of 'grape and vine' decoration around the rim that suggests this?    I don't ask because I know its origin, but interested to know why you might be assuming EAPG. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 07:07:25 PM »
Because he's in the US judging from the email address

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 07:27:14 PM »
ahhhh  -  not the first time I have omitted to look :-[
I had in fact typed this just prior to seeing Christine's comment  -  so with a little adjustment I will let it stand..........
There is a fairly strong passing nod to some of the Jefferson Glass Co. pressed star patterns/surrounding mouldings - and although there are few tumblers shown in the Jean Loomis book - there is an Ohio Flint Glass Co. example from 1905 that appears similar.  Unfortunately, the pic. is too small to be reliable.   We need some of the 'Krys-Tol' experts from your side of the pond to help confirm or deny :)
P.S. thank you Christine.

Offline mrphil1997

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:49:43 PM »
Yes, I assumed this was early American pressed glass since I live in the USA.  It's possible to be depression glass since I have other old tumblers and this particular set is not as clear in color as the tumblers I've shown in the photos. 

Paul S.  What is the name of the pattern you suspect may be this pattern?  Is it depression or EAPG?  I'm not familar with pressed or depression glass at all.  I have some reference books but it's like a puzzle trying to figure out if the patterns are the same as mine and the photos in reference books and the internet are not clear enough to see the patterns well.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 10:44:17 PM »
Surprisingly (to me), 'depression' patterns seem to cover an amazing array of pressed pattern/styles - and I have exceptionally limited experience of these - they occur very infrequently in my list of finds.  Those that I see in the U.K. are the delicate shallow patterns such as Cabbage Rose-pattern, Florentine and Cherry Blossom.    Your tumbler therefore I'm thinking is EAPG - and approximates closely to the Ohio Glass 'Krys-Tol' pattern called 'Kenneth Design'.     However, this attribution remains my opinion only, and is not a certainty.   We still do need an expert from your side to help us. :)

Offline mrphil1997

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 11:04:42 PM »
Thanks Paul.  I appreciate your help. I've checked a reference book I have on EAPG but the only pattern comes close to what your indicated is the "Krys-tol Colonia"l which I can't tell from the photo in the book what the pattern looks like. "Kenneth Design" was not listed in my reference book. 

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 02:11:16 AM »
Hello

Pretty odd design with the imitation cut pattern on the base and the naturalistic grape vines around the top. My guess is that this is a packer's ware tumbler designed to be filled with a product such as mustard or jelly and sealed with a tin lid.  Based on that assumption, I doubt that we will find it in main stream EAPG books because they tend to focus on patterns i.e. a table set and other pieces and not on the packers ware which normally was pretty limited.  The Krys-tol path is a wild goose chase as the quality of the glass is not any where near that of the Krys-Tol lines.

Sid

Offline mrphil1997

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 02:41:19 AM »
Thanks Sid. A first glance of the tumbler from a friend of mine and he also thought this was glassware that would have held jelly.  I'm sure it's won't be  easy trying to figure this one out.  I assume they must be old considering some have tiny air bubbles in the glass like you'd find in depression glass. I also have a few other tumbler sets that I'll post to see what anyone can find out.  Take care and thanks again.   Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand