No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jade Sowerby look-alike. Hexag. kingfisher bowl & posy r  (Read 8447 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Jade Sowerby look-alike. Hexag. kingfisher bowl & posy r
« on: December 29, 2005, 02:48:47 PM »
Any help with these three charity shop finds bought this week, would be greatly appreciated.

The first - a 7.5" high vase looks very much like Sowerby's no. 2414 in design, except that the middle patterned section lacks definition and detail and is a bit disappointing, added to the fact that it is jade, which might be more associated with Jobling(?)  It has a deep recessed base and has considerable wear on base rim associated with age.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/jadevase.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/jade003.jpg

The second is a heavy, rich amber colour, hexagonal bowl, embossed with panels showing a kingfisher.  It has a registration number on the base RD 810280.  The only thing resembling this, is the Tutenkahmun bowl, but that is only four sided, so this one is a bit of a mystery.  The seller told me it was "Macclesfield glass" -  :!:  :?:  :!:  As far as I know, Macclesfield (Cheshire) had a thriving silk industry at one time, not glass.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/amber006.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/amber002.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/amber005.jpg

Finally, a large 9" diameter blue/green satin finish posy trough or ring (UV reactive), 1.75" high and 1.25" wide.  I've spent three days cleaning this one up, using different treatments :roll:   Someone had put metal inside it at some stage, possibly to hold flowers, and it was brown with rust.  Its beautiful now, well worth the elbow grease and I haven't come across one this big before now. :)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/posytrough.jpg

Many thanks. :lol:

p.s. if anyone is having trouble downloading pics. please let me know and I'll reduce size further.

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 04:31:56 PM »
I'm sure I saw that kingfisher design on something at the Woking Glass Fair yesterday!   :shock:  :?

Can't remember what it was though.  I wonder if Peter will have noticed it.  

PETE!
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 04:34:30 PM »
Anne, the vase is fascinating - very like Sowerby's Pinwheel aka Derby vase....and yet different!

The Kingfisher bowl is an interesting one. We also have a brown one with the RD number. You'll find the number on the outside, near the bottom. 810280 - registered by the United Glass Bottle Co. 26/2/36. There's a thread and info on it here.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

The third piece looks like a Bagley flower holder/posy ring.
Neat piece!

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 04:44:11 PM »
I should have mentioned that Sowerby's Pinwheel aka Derby pattern is very similar to Josef Inwald's Pinwheel pattern too. The vases are almost identical (the bases and colours help to differentiate).

Glen

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 05:26:09 PM »
Many thanks Leni and Glen. :P

Thanks Glen for the interesting link regarding the kingfisher bowl.  So its United Glass Bottle Company, Sherdley.   I'm sure it would look great on a plinth, so will  have to look out for a hexagonal shape one (if there is such a thing).

The jade vase is a fab. blue/green colour, even though the moulding at the centre is not as crisp as the rest of the patterning.  I'll check out Inwald's.  

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 05:47:12 PM »
Anne, I don't think it's Inwald- sorry if I mislead you there. And it surely isn't Sowerby. It seems that someone has taken the Inwald/Sowerby Pinwheel design and done their own version. But who? 'Tis a puzzle....I've been going through archive stuff since I saw your post but no luck yet. I'm sure the answer is staring me in the face!

Glen

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 06:52:28 PM »
Thanks for your help as always Glen :P  Hopefully all will be revealed in time. :lol:
In the meantime, I've just I.D'd a 10" diam. Sowerby bowl no.2565  in green with I believe a sandblast decoration using your CDRom :P .  Glows nicely too.
Anne E.B

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 08:34:34 PM »
Anne, I nearly bought the same bowl too yesterday... I was in two minds but was running out of time so passed it by. :roll: Decided when I got home that I should have done so will pick it up if it's there when I go back. :) It's a super bowl. I've never seen a hexagonal plinth that would fit it... the only hexagonal ones I've come across so far are the Davidson ones as seen under their hexagonal flower sets - usually colours rather than black.

I did buy a uranium green jug though that I later spotted on Glen's CD (vol 2) as the 2481 jug in the 1956 catalogue. It's a super-looking jug and the CD is just brilliant as well... vol 1 arrived safely this morning (thanks Glen!) so I shall go mooch happily through that later this evening.  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 09:18:05 PM »
I hope its still there for you when you go back Anne :)  Mine looks great in a well lit window.   I don't know if there ever was a plinth made for it.  The underside of the bowl is embossed also but with a foliage design, which makes me think perhaps not.  There are four curious slightly raised, evenly spaced circles in the inside bottom of the bowl and I'm not sure whether these are marks left from the manufacturing process - where its been held in position, or whether these mark where something stands or is placed on the inside? Mostly probably the former.  

I've got Vol.2 (which is excellent) and have been able to I.D. quite a few pieces that I have as being Sowerby :P    Must get Vol.1. and will add it to my birthday list. 8)

I've just checked out the Davidson hexagonal flower bowl and plinth in my new copy of  "Davidson Glass a history".  That's the first hexagonal one I've ever seen, but not the same dimensions for the above.  Don't they look great displayed on plinths!

Anne E.B

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 11:17:42 PM »
Anne — Your jade waisted vase is almost certainly not Jobling, as I have been through their complete 1935/36 catalogue, and it is not in there.    This lists everything that went into production in jade for the domestic sector, including the scarce 1054 plain floating bowl that accompanied the jade nude lady figurine for only a short season around Christmas 1933, before being replaced by the fircone or flower pattern bowl and having a plinth added to make a three-piece set.    As with all trade catalogues, it tells us nothing about special orders, wholesaler or retailer exclusives, and designs that never made it into general production.

Quote from: "Anne E.B."
I've just checked out the Davidson hexagonal flower bowl and plinth in my new copy of  "Davidson Glass a history".  That's the first hexagonal one I've ever seen, but not the same dimensions for the above.  Don't they look great displayed on plinths!

The hexagonal set came in two sizes, 24 at 11" and 24M at 8½".   Note that Davidson cleverly avoided the delightful tangle that Sowerby got into when they named the first two sizes of a pattern "L" and "S", and then went on to produce two smaller sizes!

... and, yes, they always look so much better as complete sets.   Look out for the post-war 24M set in a rich blue, a lovely set with matching coloured block and plinth.   Cloud glass sets (other than orange cloud) always had matching fittings.    Orange cloud and jade sets were sold with either matching or black fittings.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand