No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dartington Commemaritive tankards  (Read 2394 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Dartington Commemaritive tankards
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
Not the most exciting of items and not something I would normally look at, what really caught my eye thought is they are all in their original boxes. The boxes are numbered and the date and number etched on the base.
Bought them from a house clearance along with 2 boxed FT 164 ale tankards, obviously part of some ones treasured collection. A bit sad really as I only paid a couple of pound each for them. Like to know what they retailed for originally  any one know?
Ta Chris

http://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/DartingtonCommemaritiveTankards#

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Dartington Commemaritive tankards
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 05:16:34 PM »
The 1968 version wholesaled for 18 shillings (90p) each, 17 shillings each if you bought six. (Frank Thrower & Dartington Glass, Thrower and Hill)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »
The Dartington packaging is often lovely, I vaguely remember that much of it was Designed by Kim Thrower.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 06:03:37 PM »
Chris  -  like you I acquired one or two of these for 'small beer', and then thought how boring can you get - so put them back into the charity shop - they were un-numbered.
I then found the Munich Games one, with etched number on the base, and thought I'd cracked it and this was going to be worth a bob or two  -  but no such luck - the book says limited editions can be anything from 10 - 5,000 numbered pieces, and mine was up in the four thousands somewhere.    How they considered that numbering way up into the thousands gave any limited status/value I really can't think.     A couple of hundred maybe.    Does anyone know which tankards were limited to more sensible numbers? - and would thus be worth 'a bob or two'.   :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:04:20 AM »
Err most Lalique was produced in the 1,000s with no fussing about numbering.... those are small numbers by  comparison so if there are as many chasing Frank as Rene you can feel content.

Price for 1972 was EXPENSIVE could have had a night on the town for that.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:06:14 PM »
thanks Frank - and I appreciate your comments re statistics and desirablity :)    However, I know which I would prefer........so, you can have my signed FT Munich tankard, and I'll take the opalescent early C20 opalescent piece marked with Rene's surname.      I somehow don't think there are as many people chasing the tankards as Rene's bowls ;)         First meal I bought for a girl cost me something like 49/6d (for the two of us) including wine  -  nowadays I'd probabaly just get fish and chips for that  - or a boot sale tankard ;D

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:23:52 PM »
Hi Chris
Some of them are worth money !
 I sold a 1969  Rose & Hart Tankard in Kingfisher for £103.29 back in August of last year.  :o

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 08:47:04 PM »
Think I may be on a winner after all Bob  :sun: Paul scroll down this website and eat your words  :P

http://www.glass-roots.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/2903?opendocument&part=4

Chris :hiclp:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 07:45:35 AM »
Note that they are "In stock", not sold...

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »
I had several different bidders on mine Chris, so there are collectors out there.

Just need to hope you have years/ styles/ colours they need ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand