No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with ID of Czech glass vase ... - ID = Skrdlovice  (Read 6155 times)

Offline Collectorprince

• Members
Help with ID of Czech glass vase ... - ID = Skrdlovice
« on: November 09, 2010, 07:09:27 AM »
Hello all,

I just acquired this hand-blown Czech glass vase at the major Sunday antique market in Toronto, Canada. I'm more of a Scandinavian collector, but the quality and design of this one just screamed "buy me", so I did.

The vase is thick, double-cased glass. The inner/uppermost layer of glass is clear and very bubbly, but high-quality (no burst bubbles); the outer/lower casing is dark cobalt, and inverted during the making to allow the hot glass to "run" up the sides of the vase. An interesting effect!

The base is polished and has some age wear, but no marks. There are two labels on the piece. One I recognize as the label for Bohemia Glassworks. The second one I don't recognize ... it's red foil, and says "HAND MADE SKRDLOVICE CZECHOSLOVAKIA" and has two initials, possibly "IR" or "LR" (or could be "IP", or "IR", or I suppose the first initial could even be a C?) inside a spade-shape. I've attached pics (or at least I hope I have ... this is my first post!).

Does anyone recognize the piece or the labels? Any idea what factory or artist might have made this one?

Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Help with ID of Czech glass vase ...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 07:32:18 AM »
You have your factory on the label
HAND MADE SKRDLOVICE CZECHOSLOVAKIA

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 07:46:56 AM »
It's amazing how much quality Czech glass turns up in Canada. As Christine says, it's Skrdlovice, in my opinion the best of the Czech factories. You can find out more by doing a search of Skrdlovice on this site. The basic facts are that the company was started by the Beranek brothers who made pulegoso  glass toward the end of WWII. The company became Skrdlovice under the communists, but with the Beraneks still in charge. The factory was where much of the cutting edge art glass was produced.  This is pulegoso but much later, probably post 1960. Robert (bOBA) and Jindrich are the big Skrlovice experts and I'm sure they'll be able to tell you who designed the piece. My guess is L. Oliva.

A word of warning: Skrdlovice is addictive. I started out with Murano and Scandinavian, but now I seem to be buying far more Czech glass.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:01:04 AM »
This piece is designed by Pavel Jezek (*7.1. 1938 Praha, +1.9. 1999 Mala Skala) in 1976, pattern 7606/28.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 10:27:51 AM »
It is a lovely piece and a great example of the modern use of the Bohemian dripping decoration style that has been used in Bohemian glass since at least c. 1400AD. Jindrich has provided all the details for you for this piece.

I would only add that Mr Jezek translates as Mr Hedgehog ... not a common name in England but we do have Mr Salmon, Gudgeon, Pike, Fox and Mr Badger  etc ..... Also, as Langhaugh says the bubble glass used may be a reference to the past usage of it at the factory, as made at Skrdlovice just after the war, another revived element of local historic traditions presented in the new glass! An interesting piece! I attach a picture of its little brother, produced at the same time by Mr Jezek...

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Collectorprince

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »
Wow, thanks for all your help on this ... factory, artist, and even the pattern number and the year it was designed! There are some amazing experts here on this Board, and it's so nice that people are so willing to share their expertise!

I've also noticed that there seems to be a lot of excellent Czech glass turning up in Toronto. I wonder if it was ever sold at retail here, or just brought over by migrating collectors? I'll definitely have to watch out for its addictive qualities ... it wasn't too many years ago that I bought a single Stromberg vase to sit on top of one of the 130+ radios I owned. Now most of the radios are gone, and I'm out prowling for scandinavian glass nearly every weekend!

It's funny that the artist of this piece was a "Mr. Hedgehog" in translation. It made me recall an old history class, where I learned that the then-President of Germany, Richard von Weizsäcker, was in fact a "Mr. Wheatbagger"!

Thanks all,

Rob

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 06:45:27 PM »
Absolutely right, Mr. Wheatbaggins, one of the rather tall halflings from The Shire...  :24:  :wsh:
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 06:53:10 PM »
Rob:

I believe that most of the Czech glass in Canada was sold here. I know that there was one store at least in Vancouver that sold it, and I wouldn't be surprised if Eatons and/or Birks also carried it. There was an import company, Belford, I think, that brought in a least some of it. You'll occasionally see that label on a piece, usually Chribska or Harrachov.

If you do buy some Czech in Canada, could you please wait until my collection is complete? 

Good luck.

David

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 08:00:01 PM »
Complete? What does that mean, is it even possible?  ;D

John

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 09:13:58 PM »
John: My ruse is uncovered. Perpetual non competition for me in Canada.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand