No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My New, New PW......Whipeeeeeeeeeee  (Read 2447 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
My New, New PW......Whipeeeeeeeeeee
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:26:56 AM »
 :hi:, and why am I so excited -

...because I talked my Son in to doing a Ebay purchase since he has Paypal (etc).  I do not have an account with Ebay for anything.  Anyways, we were the winning Bid on this item here -- so I hope we did OK.  Here is the Link....it is OK to do that as it is over, and we were the winners.  

Well, bid against ourselves......LOL...whoops

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350410800931

Fratelli Toso ??

So I hope we did OK -- and I tell you -- I almost did have a heart attack as the seconds counted down.  I do not know how you folks do it, as this was for less than $10.  Even my son was  :24: at me.

I am tickled PINK - that was fun. :chky: :chky:                   I am still shaking....
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: My New, New PW......Whipeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:24:47 PM »
Well done, Rose!   :rah:  Very pretty! 

You need to get yourself a bid sniper program, to take some of the anxiety out of those last few seconds   ;) ;D
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »
You got yourself a nice paperweight, Rose! :hiclp:  I had it on my watch list and kept thinking what a good buy.  In fact, I thought of you each time I saw it!  (That's the absolute truth, too!)  There are some really good Murano weights at very reasonable prices on eBay.  I think you are correct when you say FT; the age I would estimate 1960-1980 but I'm not an expert so I'm hoping you will here more from others.  You have a pretty weight (love the colors) that will show well, and it does not need to be in a cabinet. :thup:

eBay is a lot of fun.  Congrats on your first eBay purchase.  Leni is right; a snipe program is helpful.  LotSnipe is one that comes to mind and its basic program is free (or at least it was).

Congrats again! ...... Lily :rah:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 05:45:57 PM »
Yes, FT. 100% sure. Great buy and great price. I love these types of canes.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »
Here is the Link....it is OK to do that as it is over, and we were the winners.
Within the Board, there is no problem with giving a link to any sales item even if it is active. Lots of folk do it to check if an item is what they think it might be.

KevinH

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »
Thanks all --
I been watching it for a while too (bugging) my son as he did not know what to get for my *B* so I said how about that.  Then since I never did a Ebay thing it was fun.  We were till 4 a.m. waiting for it to finish  :sleep:  My son was  :24: at me.  I was pretty sure that was Fratelli Toso ONLY because the label on the bottom is the very label that I have on the big over-sized Vase that I got a garage Sale for $5.  So I was hoping by the label it was.....and not just stuck on there.

What is bid sniper?  Someone that does it for you, I take it?

Well, that will probably be my only time I get anything off of Ebay --  so I do not think I would need that.  It was fun, and now I know what you guys go through.

....Whew  :phew: 

Glad to hear LILY that you were watching it too (and thinking of me).  It must have had my name written all over it.  Funny thing too is that some of the numbers of the ad had a certain *memory* for me.  Sounds strange, but even my son noticed that.

lol

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »
I just checked eBay. There are a few really nice Murano and Scottish paperweights that are probably going to go for little money. Looks like a good time for snipers to set up on these.

I don't like linking to auctions while they are still active for one reason. People spend a long time locating good things and are watching it (or have a snipe bid). Then someone posts the link and everyone knows about it. In my mind, it isn't fair to lower the chances of the people who did the work to find the link unless there is good reason. Now, I agree with posting things with questionable attributions, but not in posting for any other reason. (But really, if we posted everything with questionable attributions, there wouldn't be room for anything else.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 11:11:02 PM »
What is bid sniper?  Someone that does it for you, I take it?
Not a "someone" but a "something". It's a computer application. You tell it your details and the eBay item number and how much money you are willing to pay and it does the bidding for you - at a pre-determined time, usually in the last few seconds of the auction. Those applications use a dedicated server which can link to the auction to ensure that your bid is fed in at the last moment.

KevinH

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 08:45:21 AM »
... Those applications use a dedicated server which can link to the auction to ensure that your bid is fed in at the last moment.

To be honest - I consider automatic sniper programs a nuisance - they spoil all the fun! At least on German speaking ebay sites they are explicitly forbidden (which doesn't mean, of course, that they are not used): I don't know whether this rule depends on where the bidder or the seller lives - or whether anybody cares - but you may want to consider it.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 10:33:36 PM »
LOL.....I will not need a sniper or whatever they are called.  That was my one time buy off Ebay so I will not have to go through that stress again. WHEW

:pb: :24:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand