No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My New, New PW......Whipeeeeeeeeeee  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Re: My New, New PW......Whipeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 06:04:50 AM »
Your "one time buy" off eBay, Rose?  >:D  I bet it won't be long before you just look again and ......  Of course, not everyone succumbs to the 'call of the Bid Now button'.  It is fun though. ;D

As far as a snipe option, it's helpful when you are in a different time zone or country or not able to be at your computer to put in that last second bid.  It's nice to put in your top bid and then walk away; although it does take away some of the last minute jitters (or fun) you might have when watching the clock tick down.  Another thing that's nice is you can cancel your bid up to within a few minutes of the bid being placed with a snipe service if you decide you really don't want something or find another item you want more; whereas with eBay, once that bid has been placed, it's not often retractable.

It sounds like I do this a lot; I don't.  I just find it very helpful when I need it.

Lily  ;) 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 07:24:14 AM »
Hey.... nice piece and cheap too!   Done well there I reckon. Secure shipping cost to me would probably be 3x the item cost though.
Why so expensive shipping out of Canada? Has been a shock to me in the past.

I'd never used a sniper service for a few reasons, although they do have advantages with end times at say 4am in the morning, when you are working, have an unreliable computer/connection or local power supply... some issues that have cost me even when sitting there trying to bid in the last seconds to avoid the underhanded vendor bidders. Grrrrrrr.. I'll never forget missing out on a poorly described very very rare variety coin one night due to that old pooter freezing up. I reckon that cost me around $1000 and it went to someone that wouldn't have understood the significance of the die variety/combination. Stupid pooter could take 15minutes to re-boot. There was a certain pleasure in finally gutting that thing.

The other matter that turned me off hosted sniper sites was some require you to submit user ID and password, so that they log on and act on your behalf.  How could I ever be sure of the sniper site security, or if there was 'inside trading' by site staff, full well knowing your max level bid on an item 'flying under the radar'.
Some programs use your computer sure, but with a dodgy power Co. grid network or other things using up CPU processing power like a routine scan that may slow down an old pooter it's in no way a sure fire thing.
So it goes.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 11:46:57 PM »
 :hi: got my first Ebay buy thanks to my Son doing it for me.  It arrived here a short time ago, but had not loaded the pics yet.  I am very happy with it.....still was a nail biting event, but hey -- it was the first time for me.

Another for my Collection..............I still say ----> Whipeeeeeeeeeeeee

I have one guess tho -- how come some PW do not show that much wear?  As some of the other items with this label show more wear - and sure, somethings get moved around more --- but I just think it is funny that vase/bowls show so much more wear than PW.....Maybe it is because Vases/Bowls were *more on display* and got moved around more for cleaning -- as I guess -- PW probably sat more inside a place and where moved around less....

This has wear on it -- it just surprises me how much more vases had (etc) -- but I have probably answered my own question.  They were on Display more, and therefore moved more....

;D

Anyways love this, and the Colors !!!
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 01:13:42 AM »
One reason for lack of wear on many weights is that there is (or has been) a label on the flat base which means the label gets worn, not the glass base. :thup:
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 03:44:04 AM »
One reason for lack of wear on many weights is that there is (or has been) a label on the flat base which means the label gets worn, not the glass base. :thup:

Hi there:
That makes sense too....as even the slightest less contact with the glass (vs. the paper label) DOH:   :-\  will make a big difference.  Thanks KevH

:kissy:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand