No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Designlasin hintakirja Questions and a few vases  (Read 12152 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Designlasin hintakirja Questions and a few vases
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 12:03:32 AM »
Thanks Glen for the information on the early periods. There are reproduced catalogues I can buy that cover that early time period on the website I mentioned, but it's good to know you are so knowledgeable I won't have to buy any LOL. The early period is of interest to me I never realised they produced items such as this for a while http://koti.mbnet.fi/jost/riihi02.htm

Thanks Robbo - I believe what you say is well documented, yet my catalogue of 1950s brochures shows boxed gift items with a K-I logo & ‘Karhula Iittala’ as late as 1956 -9. I believe they must have continued to use the Karhula name for giftware if not the factory itself. I think this has been covered in another thread?
Reference - recent book of brochures I bought
page 25 Suomalaista Lasia 1950s

Thanks Ivo - Yep I gathered that LOL - can you recommend any books that cover these other designers, in fact all the Riihimaen designers I mention above. Also what about the stuff attributed to Still and Tynell (see my pics) is it true to say that because they are not in the Designlasin they are not by these designers, so many book and web resources seem to get it wrong as Max has pointed out on many an occasion?

Max the same questions go out to you (in the sense I really respect your opinion)

I am sorry I misinterpreted your statement
where are you getting the information that Tamara Aladin designed
; I thought you were having a joke, when you were actually talking about the picture shown in the URL below. I should have realised you are a lover of all Riihimaen - please accept my apologies, I got it was designed by Aladin from every Miller book I own, I think I should throw these away now.

Do you know who designed it and what do you think about the cinnamon colour?

You are right Tiimalasi is on page 234

I can see with such small pictures, I will need to learn to study next to good photos of the real thing if possible

I also realise that even up to date price guides and books are giving wrong attributions on Riihimaen, there must be a few designs out there still needing a designer attribution?

Thanks everyone for contributing to a vibrant thread, you really helped me - I am afraid I may still need to ask questions as the way the Designlasin does not give designer date ranges for Karhula-Nuutajarvi-Iittala is sure to confuse me when I am out buying - I have however worked out a lot using Ivo's A-Z. Its excellent dates give a good indication along side each designers work. I am even getting a better handle on Kaj Franck who hopped around from Riihimaki mid 30s to Iittala 1946 to 60, Nuutajarvi 1950 to 73

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »
I to am seeing things that I think ought to be in DesignLasin. On ebay recently have been two Helene Tynell Emma vases with long necks like lamp bases. These are not in DesignLasin. See Here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amber-banjo-shape-pressed-glass-vase-whitefriars-style_W0QQitemZ7378753428QQcategoryZ64877QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 01:53:47 PM »
Quote from: "Pat"
I to am seeing things that I think ought to be in DesignLasin. On ebay recently have been two Helene Tynell Emma vases with long necks like lamp bases. These are not in DesignLasin. See Here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amber-banjo-shape-pressed-glass-vase-whitefriars-style_W0QQitemZ7378753428QQcategoryZ64877QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think that's a wannabee Pat, someone's copied the Emma vase.   :)
I am not a man

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 05:51:24 PM »
Quote from: "Max"

I'd seen these, including one with a stopper, and wondered about them. Maybe they have the same origins as the 'Made in Italy' sun-bottles discussed recently?

Quote from: "David555"
...my catalogue of 1950s brochures shows boxed gift items with a K-I logo & ‘Karhula Iittala’ as late as 1956 -9. I believe they must have continued to use the Karhula name for giftware if not the factory itself.

It does seem as if it could be a 'branding' issue. As Glen said, the Karhula name was very well respected and well known internationally. They had won a number of design prizes in the 30s - Aalto's Savoy vase etc. Maybe they were reluctant to let the Karhula name lapse?
Also, Timo Sarpaneva designed the Iittala red 'i' logo in 1956; I think I remember reading (somewhere :?: ), this was originally meant to be used just on his 'i-glass' tableware range and only subsequently applied to the remainder of Iittala's production. This would maybe tie in with the continued use of the Karhula name in your late 50s catalogues?
robbo

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 06:45:51 PM »
Quote from: "robbo"

I'd seen these, including one with a stopper, and wondered about them. Maybe they have the same origins as the 'Made in Italy' sun-bottles discussed recently?

I've just noticed someone's bid up to the reserve price of £50 on that vase.  :shock:   You could be right about the Italian 'sunflask' connection Robbo, anyone feel like bidding more than £50 and having a good look?  :wink:  :P
I am not a man

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 07:11:19 PM »
I've just noticed someone's bid up to the reserve price of £50 on that vase.  :shock:   You could be right about the Italian 'sunflask' connection Robbo, anyone feel like bidding more than £50 and having a good look?  :wink:  :P

The lip does look similar http://www.aurinkopullo.com/piraatit.htm. Maybe after I'd finished looking, I could grind off the top few inches and resell  :idea:  :roll:  :wink:
robbo

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2005, 07:30:14 PM »
LOL!  Hey, that's an interesting site though - very interesting!   :D  :D

Er, I almost admitted this just now;  I'll do it now.  :oops:

I bought a 'sunflask' decanter about 2 years ago.  Thought it was the real thing (duh!) I think I bid £35ish on it.  It arrived and..oooh dear!  I can't remember if it had 'Made in Italy' on it, but it had a nasty plastic fitting around the stopper and I hated it!  Luckily the plastic was dead tatty, so I sent it back, saying it was damaged.  It got lost in the post...and I got a full refund from the post office.  Yippeee!   :lol:  :D
I am not a man

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2005, 08:02:29 PM »
The person on the £50 bid buys lots os Riimaen. Could be Italian BUT there was a green one on before Xmas with a hole drilled in to make a lamp. The seller of that usually is very honest and never said anything about Made In Italy.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2005, 08:21:13 PM »
Pat  :)

I don't take other people bidding on items as proof of identification.  Goodness knows I've been wrong enough times myself!   :wink: :D

IMHO the brown 'Emma' vase isn't by Tynell.  The green one with the hole drilled in it that you refer to could have been by Tynell.  :?:  Maybe it was altered to make it into a lampbase.  I can't find it in completed auctions.  I can only offer an opinion based on a few years experience and the Designlasin book being pretty much infallible so far. <shrugs>

The person selling the 'Emma' vase on ebay hasn't listed it as Tynell, so that's fair enough as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not calling them into disrepute in any way: caveat emptor.  :)
I am not a man

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2005, 08:40:48 PM »
Sorry I did not mean that the guy bidding was proof, just that I'm not surprised he is bidding a lot because he buys a lot of Riihimaen-or what he thinks is. The green one is in completed and is definitley the same as the one on now with the neck. Not an Emma. But I can't remember how it was listed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand