No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance plates find.  (Read 1098 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Chance plates find.
« on: November 13, 2010, 03:40:42 PM »
Not seen these outside of a book so was pleased when they turned up today,the carriage is not so common according to Davids book. ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Chance plates find.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 06:15:42 PM »
congratulations Keith, great finds.     Townsend's cartoon style art is very appealing, and the Beefeater, as you will know probably better than me, is one of a set (either four or five others, depending on whether or not you include the 'Scottish Piper', apparently).   Do  you have any of the others?    I've not seen any so far, but I became aware of his art when I bought some ceramic tiles showing illustrations of elephant/frog/seal/cockerel - reminds me of the early work of the book illustrator Brian Wildsmith  -  Townsend, sadly, is no longer with us.
The carriage trays also come in a set of six I believe, although the only one I have ever found was the blue 'Chariot' - although I no longer collect these - sets of things give me a headache - I always seem to end up short of something, and then get irritated because I don't have the complete set.   But like the almost mythical 'Balloon Trays' series, the artwork is detailed and attractive.   If you would like the blue 'Chariot' coach tray (gratis), let me know, and it will be on it's way to the West Mids.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 09:41:24 PM »
Thanks Paul,like I said these are the first I've ever seen,can understand about the annoyance in collecting sets(used to collect stamps,perforations,watermarks,weird colours,overprints,it's worse than glass!) If you really don't want it I'd be most grateful and willing to pay for the postage at least,I still owe you a 4.5 inch jade frog,let me know if there is anything,Chance wise,your looking for and I'll keep a look out, ;D

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 02:37:06 AM »
I am the happy owner of the Scottish Piper. Sorry, I don't have a picture of it. But it is quite lovely in  my Scottish kitsch collection. It's in good shape and has the label on it.

Carolyn

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 07:16:38 PM »
Carolyn;I still find it strange the way these little pieces of glass find their way around the World,better travelled than me! ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand