No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: CAITHNESS "FIREBALL" PAPERWEIGHT  (Read 4900 times)

Offline KrazeyLady

• Members
CAITHNESS "FIREBALL" PAPERWEIGHT
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:13:51 PM »
Hello

I have just joined this site primarily to find out about a load of glassware that I have just acquired.
Let me explain.
I do house and barn clearances here (in France). Normally it's just the regular junk that I may be able to sell or more likely take to the tip. Amongst the last few loads was a lot of glass - bottles, jars paperweights, etc. I think some of it might be semi valuable and some might be worth preserving for future generations. I don't know so I'm turning to you guys for any help or advice you feel you might be able to offer.
I hope you don't mind. I also hope that it isn't against Site Rules so I get booted off.

The first thing I would like to know about it a Caithness "Fireball" paperweight. Etched on the bottom is the number "H35285" (the 5 might be "S" but it looks like 5). I know it's not rare, but is it worth selling? If so, roughly how much could I ask for it? Would it be better to sell in England or France? Where can I find more information about this paperweight?

Thanks for any input on this

KrazeyLady

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
Re: CAITHNESS "FIREBALL" PAPERWEIGHT
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 01:39:55 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAITHNESS-FIREBALL-PAPERWEIGHT-VGC-LARGE-STUNNING-/200538947523

Maybe more will show up as sold in a 'completed listings' search on this site.
So it goes.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:41:16 PM »
Hi there
The weight was designed by Colin Terris in 1983
I have currently got a caithness Fireball paperweight listed on ebay, so if you are on ebay you can watch that to give you an idea of value, I cant put a link on but you can search for me on ebay seller name sixpence0_8
Best way to get an idea of values is search completed listings on ebay.
if not its got another 2 days to go and i can let you know what it sold for
michelle

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 03:38:21 PM »
Etched on the bottom is the number "H35285" (the 5 might be "S" but it looks like 5).

The present numbering system for unlimited weights was introduced by Caithness in 1983: a leading character (identifying the year of manufacture) followed by a running number. H indicates 1990 as year of manufacture, and this will be the 35285th unlimited weight finished that year.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline KrazeyLady

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 06:27:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Will check out the links and EBay this evening.
Thanks again

K/L

Offline KrazeyLady

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 07:02:11 PM »
Just had a "quickie" through EBay FR and UK.
Think I'll probably stick to France. It looks as if an average price for paperweights (presse papier) is 15-20 Euros.

Thanks for your links and input.
I'll be back on other topics in the near future as I've acquired a lot of glass stuff.

cheers
K/L

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 10:53:41 PM »
Think I'll probably stick to France. It looks as if an average price for paperweights (presse papier) is 15-20 Euros.
Please do not take that as meaning that all glass paperweights have an average price of that amount. General sales outlets like eBay will have a large amount of cheap-and-cheerful items which will hide the better ones with the higher prices.

The same is also true of Caithness Glass weights - there are many that are "lower end" in terms of price but lots that are "high end" collector series which command better prices.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand