No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Name of Selkirk paperweight  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Name of Selkirk paperweight
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:44:12 PM »
I was asked for help identifying this weight (images below). A silvery/white structure is hovering over a black base. Signature reads "Selkirk Glass Scotland 1980", and there is a PH cane in the centre of the base.

I do not find this weight in my 1978 and 1979 Selkirk catalogues; 1980 is one of the two catalogues missing in my collection; the weight is not shown in the 1981 catalogue. So most likely the weight was first issued in 1980, and more or less sold out the same year (although it is known that Selkirk still sold weights in later years than year of issue, without including them in later catalogues).

From John Simmonds' book "Paperweights from Great Briatin 1930-2000" I know the names of several Selkirk weights first issued in 1980, with names suggesting a space theme (which the weight in question looks like). So I guess we are looking for one of those:
> Dark Star
> Mariner
> Moonglow
> Space Probe

Does anyone out there have any of these weights - or the 1980 catalogue - and can help?
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Name of Selkirk paperweight
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:03:38 PM »

Based on the design, which suggests a spacecraft with three landing feet,  I would have thought 'Mariner' or 'Space Probe'. But the Mariner series spacecraft did their stuff in the 1960s, so I vote for 'sapce Probe' based on nothing more than applied guesswork!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »
..., so I vote for 'Space Probe' based on nothing more than applied guesswork!

This was also my favourite - for the same reasons - but it would be nice to be sure  :D

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 11:51:48 PM »
Hi Wuff,

If you do not get a definitive answer here why don't you ask Peter Holmes directly? I don't think that he will mind.

Sophie

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »
Dont think its space probe, think I have one and it doesnt look like that.  Will have to have a look through my collection which I'm afraid is packed away in the main at the moment, will get back to you.  I do have a lot of earlier selkirk weights, prettys sure I have 2 or 3 of those listed.

Must actually get round to photographing them all so they go onto scotlands glass at some point!

Ian

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
Don't think its space probe, think I have one and it doesn't look like that.

No - it's not - just found am image by chance on Carter's - and it looks definitely different.

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 04:06:08 AM »
I thought Sophie had a good idea ....

Lily  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum