No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for pink pressed sticks - Inwald or Rudolfova SU? ID = Riedel  (Read 8853 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: id request for pink pressed sticks - Inwald or Rudolfova SU?
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 09:18:18 PM »
Yay!   :rah:  Good news Paul....I am very pleased for you.
Rosie.  :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: id request for pink pressed sticks - Inwald or Rudolfova SU? ID = Riedel
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 07:27:50 PM »
Sorry, but I've got a question...  did Riedel make pressed glass?  A knowledgable person/seller (with the same candlestick) has told me he's got serious doubts about this attribution.   :huh:

Thank you for your input.

Edited to add:  It seems Riedel did make pressed items.  There is mention of it in "The Legend of Bohemian Glass" and here -- http://www.prazskagalerie.cz/en/news/from-editorial/luxury-for-everyone-chapters-from-history-and-present-of-art-crystalware-6.  Yet I'd still like to question the attribution. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 08:53:49 PM »
hello Anik.         Subsequent to my post dated 14th April, I had not queried this item further, as had assumed that the confirmation from more knowedgable people than myself had resolved the matter  -  although as I commented at the time, the quoted date of  'around 1900' had rather surprised me.     I am neither an expert on Riedel, or early C20 Austrian pressed glass, so regret I am personally unable to take this matter further.     As you will see from the earlier stages of this thread, I did email Andy MacConnell back at the beginning of this discussion, but regrettably, for whatever reason, he declined to comment, although I think from memory the pair of similar sticks shown in the Miller's book for which he was editor, are attributed to Riedel.    Is your source able to offer proof of their reasons for suggesting these are not the Austrian factory??   after all, when we have 'serious doubts', we must assume there are good reasons for them. :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 04:19:06 AM »
Maybe I should have written "I'd like to gently question this attribution".  Has the candlestick since been found with a label, or in a catalogue?

Teaches me not to stick my big nose into areas I know nothing about.  Again, my apologies.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 08:30:13 AM »
I'm not aware of any comments from anyone since my note on the 14th of April  -  and I have certainly not been aware of seeing these sticks in any literature anywhere (apart from the Miller's example already quoted)  -  but I guess there is always the chance that positive attribution may yet be found  -  i.e. an example with label or whatever.      However, I think that Pamela has commented already that she is unaware of any existing Riedel catalogues, so we may be at the end of the road for now, although we can 'leave the door open' should more information come to light.                  Certainly no need for apologies Anik, no harm done. :)

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
These are lovely Paul, I have seen pics before of a green pair and of single amber and pink ones. I feel I have seen an image of these tall branched candlesticks in a catalogue somewhere previously, and definitely not of the much smaller Inwald version, but can't put my finger on anything concrete. I will come back here if I find anything.

I hope you and the family are well.  :)
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
hello stranger - quick response then ;D ;)  -  been off Trekking again have we?  -  I walk past your road occasionally, and think of you, and wonder if I should pop in for a coffee, but I've forgotten the house No. :-[            Do you still have that vast quantity of trinket sets, and did you get around to a minor publication as you promised?     Shame about the lockdown, we might have gone to a boot sale had they been running still - but you're welcome to take me out for a drink - I'm cheap to entertain ;D
The family are well, thank you for asking and I'm a Grandfather three times over  -  my sons are doing well (at least they're still employed fortunately)  -  in fact I don't know anyone with the virus  -  but then again you are my only friend, I'm lonely and have no others ;)  -  come up and see me some time :-*
How are the girls  -  all now married possibly?

You watch this get chucked out  -  send me a pm some time if you wish  -  difficult to catch up on the Board. :)

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
Haha Paul, yes another quick response only 10 years give or take a year! We are trying to move, only a couple of miles and no further away from you, but it keeps falling through with the pandemic problems which I concur I know no one with it or who has had it, but eventually fingers crossed we will succeed with our move. I have also forgotten your address, but yes we must catch up when this lockdown is over.

I still have a vast collection of trinket sets, ever bigger and no whiff of publication as yet, I am slow, very slow, I take a year off or 3 quite often but still collect, one day it will happen. I also developed a penchant for vintage powder compacts, especially the mother of pearl embellished and musical ones, so much less space needed for those! I am also now a Granny, time flies! Take care and bye for now.  :)
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
best of luck with the move Jayne  -  fingers crossed we'll get to have a natter some day.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand