No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for pink pressed sticks - Inwald or Rudolfova SU? ID = Riedel  (Read 8884 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Just thought that one of the pressed glass experts might recognize this pattern before I wade into the 'Master Books' :D
Bottoms have the flat ground/polished outer rims, and tragically there has been damage to one of the tops, and although nothing is missing the gluing job hasn't been carried out too expertly.      Impressive, and I hadn't been aware of seeing them before, and despite the damage couldn't pass them up.    They stand at about 290mm/almost 11.5 inches, so quite tall.    Grateful if anyone does know the design, and thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: id request for pink pressed sticks.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:27:46 AM »
They are very similar to the pattern Sl/2592 shown in the pre-1958 Rudolfova Hut' catalogue on the SkloUnion CD - but those are given as 180mm with two tiers on the base. I wonder if these are from the same stable? The higher size could account for the three tiered base... perhaps earlier Inwald production even?  Pamela or Glen would most likely know for sure.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request for pink pressed sticks.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »
thanks Anne   -  at work now so can't do much looking at all  -  but appreciate your suggestion and do hope either Pamela or Glen able to assist if they have the time to take a look. :)
cheers    Paul S.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request for pink pressed sticks - Inwald or Rudolfova SU?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 08:34:43 PM »
have now managed to look at the page in question on the CD, and agree similarity  -  differences seem to be........ where the 'U' is attached to the base (sorry, not very obvious from my pic.) and the unequal steps of the actual pan (on mine) - whereas the three steps in the Sl/2592 appear symetrical.   Guess we must carry on looking Anne :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:28:22 PM »
browsing thru the Andy McConnell/Millers 20th Century Glass - I see that page 56 carries a blue version of what appears to be the same 'stick'.    The caption comments that the designer is unknown but the maker, reputedly, was Riedel, and the date given is c. 1930.    Is this the Riedel as in Josef Riedel, and is it possible to see any catalogue images? :)   

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:23:22 PM »
Sorry Paul, I missed this while we were away in Hongkong to see our first grandchild  :baby:   :rah:

Unable too to find a closer match than Rudolfova for your candle-holder - will keep looking. No Riedel catalogues of that period known here, I'm afraid.
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »
Hello Granny, and our congratulations on this wonderful event  (also on your more senior status)  :cheers: :dance: 
Unless I'm losing the plot Pamela, my sticks appear identical to the supposed Riedel example shown in the Miller's book  -  the reason being that both have a 'three tiered' pedestal  -  unlike the Rudolfova example which has only two. :hi:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »
Paul, it might be worth dropping Andy an email and asking where his attribution came from. He is a member here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=profile;u=67
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:03:28 PM »
thanks indeed Anne - I will do just that. :sg:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
I notice that his email is not shown  -  so unless anyone has this and cares to send me an 'off board' message with the details  -  I will try to locate tomorrow by phone. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand