No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Kaj Franck thread.  (Read 1868 times)

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Another Kaj Franck thread.
« on: January 05, 2006, 08:24:30 PM »
Hello all,

It was suggested to me that this 21 inch high, stacked decanter set might be a  Kaj Franck designed\made item. Would anyone here know for sure?

http://tinypic.com/jrad84.jpg

This belongs to a friend, so it's the only photo I have of it.

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 10:49:32 PM »
Hi Mike

I'm not familiar with this being Kaj Franck design.  His 'Kremlin Bells' are along the same lines, but different.

I had a quick shuffle through Google for Timo Sarpaneva's designs, but came up with nothing.

For my money, the stopper is an odd shape for Scandi design...but that's only a guesswork comment, sorry.
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 11:20:58 PM »
Thank you Max,

I saw many 'Kremlin Bells' online and all of the stoppers were round, which made me unsure of that attribution and why I brought it to this board. I thought it might be some odd-ball Blenko Glass item too, but I'm not sure about that either. Maybe Italian??? This kind of stuff is waaaaaay far away from the glass I'm most interested in lol!

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 12:09:06 AM »
I was also very doubtful about the stopper which does look either Blenko or Italian.

Kaj is known best for his sleek minimalist designs but he was working there a long time so must have had a hand in designing many things. In the early days there was a policy against designers signatures so It's difficult to know abpout the earlier stuff especially production as opposed to studio work.

Is it in Designlasin ???
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand