No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh with crackle rim?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Walsh with crackle rim?
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »
Will stick my neck out and say Walsh but with a crackle effect round the rim????any ideas please?

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Walsh with crackle rim?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 09:22:09 AM »
Keith — Lovely — best photograph of a Walsh mother of pearl crackle effect yet.   :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:

It clearly shows the thin inner layer (the first, tiny gather was of white or opal glass, probably a lampshade glass) had a slightly lower melting point than that used for subsequently building up the thickness of glass for the piece.   The effect is usually found around re-shaped rims, where the glass was both cooling quite quickly and subject to considerable bending stress.

Did you see my Walsh mother of pearl on Sunday (right side of my stand, top shelf)?   Only two pieces had the crackle effect, neither as easy to see as yours, and none had the luxury ground out and polished pontil scar finish.  :spls:

Well done.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:26:58 PM »
...   Did you see my Walsh mother of pearl on Sunday (right side of my stand, top shelf)?   Only two pieces had the crackle effect, neither as easy to see as yours, and none had the luxury ground out and polished pontil scar finish.   ...

Correction from my OH — One of mine does have the luxury pontil scar finish.

Did you see the scarce Straw Opal Walsh mother of pearl piece in Hall 1?   Unfortunately it was misattributed to "Powell" with a price to match.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 04:12:37 PM »
Thanks Bernard,I'm afraid I didn't get to the show this year but have promised myself a trip to the next one,already in my diary,so will meet you and others then, ;D ;D(paid less than £8 for it and that included p&p,good deal?)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
Keith — I don't do valuations, especially for very lucky members like you.

Bernard C.  :angel:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand