No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Golden / Amber Stuart Glass Vase Internally Ribbed Optic  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Fisher Brookfield

• Members
Golden / Amber Stuart Glass Vase Internally Ribbed Optic
« on: November 18, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »
Hi All,
Hope someone can help me to identify the age and possible designer of this vase. The vase is 8" in height x 6" wide, it is vertically internally ribbed with a flared bucket shape the base has a very large polished pontil and is acid etched Stuart England. Hope you can help.

Many thanks
Fisher.

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Golden / Amber Stuart Glass Vase Internally Ribbed Optic
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »
Hello Fisher,could we see a picture of the base and mark if possible it may help with the dating,Keith.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »
Hi Keith,
Thank you for taking the time out to reply to my post, I have tried to take a picture of the mark on the base but it seems almost impossible, I have taken pictures of a similar acid etched mark on the base of a Webb vase I once had, and I was able to get a close up image with the same camera, though the mark on this vase is more faint. I have looked at a website called stylendesign in there glass marks section and it looks the same as the Early Stuart mark late 1920's onward image on the website. The mark changed in the 1950s so that still only allows me to be able to narrow the date down to between a 25 - 30 year gap hope to be able to norrow it down to an actual time of manufacturer and designer if you can help I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks again

Fisher

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
Hi,

I'm afraid, at this point in time, it is not known who the designer of these blown pieces is. However, stylistically they look like they are pre-war, matching production by other Stourbridge makers (as well as Powell of course) at that time.

Nigel

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:56:29 AM »
Hi,

Moderators - could this thread be moved to British glass please?

Thanks, Nigel

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »
Hi Nigel,
Thanks for taking the time out to respond to my post, I agree the vase does look prewar the base shows signs of a good age, the more I look at it the more I love it, the execution is fantastic. I will keep searching to see if I can find out more information about it or if you find out anymore information at anytime please let me know. Many thanks again.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 03:45:58 PM »
To take photos of the base, use daylight (not direct sunlight) and hand-hold the vase (if necessary switch the flash off). Angle the base until the etch mark is clear. Also ensure your camera is set to 'macro' mode (move the mode switch to the 'tulip' icon).
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand