No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: AVeM bowl, but with Galliano Ferro label?  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
AVeM bowl, but with Galliano Ferro label?
« on: November 19, 2010, 12:30:30 PM »
I recently picked up this bowl, which I would normally assume is by AVeM, but it has a label on the side which I haven't seen before, which reads "G. F. Made in Italy, Murano".  It got me wondering if the G.F. stands for Galliano Ferro, and did they make bowls in a similar style to AVeM?

I've had a look through the Murano labels gallery, but can't spot this one.  Any thoughts?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: AVeM bowl, but with Galliano Ferro label?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
The label even looks like an AVeM label, doesn't it? Except that it has the GF instead of the AVeM. It isn't too strange considering that Galliano was one of the founders of AVeM. In 1955, he and his son Giorgio left AVeM to form Galliano Ferro. Some of the things GF made were very much like the old AVeM things they had been making. The "tutti frutti" pieces look very much alike between the two companies. It's great that your bowl still has the label. It is the first time I've seen this label. It is so similar to AVeM's label, I bet that it is from around 1955 while the memory of AVeM was still fresh in their minds.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »
Nice bowl, Wayne.  Anita is very correct about your bowl.  Gosh, I have never seen that particular label by them either.  It is wonderful that the previous owner(s) kept it on there.  Try putting your bowl under a black light and see if any of those canes glow. I have some G.F. pieces and I thought initially some of them didn't glow under black light until I tried it for fun one night and I was surprised that the pieces I didn't suspect did glow under black light. Thanks for sharing with us.  

tam bam

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:38:54 PM »
Hi Anita and Tam Bam, thanks for the detailed information!  I didn't know that about Galliano + Giorgio working at AVeM first, that does explain things!  Thanks for solving the mystery for me!  I will have to give it a zap under UV now!  :)

Offline sandymae

• Members

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:20:03 PM »
Thanks sandymae, it's nice to see pics of another Ferro "Tutti Frutti"  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand