No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with a piece of Dominick Labino Art Glass.  (Read 2204 times)

Offline westred

• Members
  • Real Murano ONLY comes from Murano, Italy!
Help with a piece of Dominick Labino Art Glass.
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:27:15 PM »
  I am asking for some advice on a beautiful piece of Dominick Labino Art Glass vase I have.  I am thinking of putting it up for auction on eBay or somewhere else?  Could anyone here, please, help me put a fair market value on this Labino vase?
I am sure that if you are up to snuff on American Art Glass, you know he is considered the Grandfather of the Art Glass Studio Movement in America, back in the early 60's.  He has also written a book entitled, "Visual Art in Glass" back in 1968.
His most known (and most expensive) series of blown Art Glass was named "Emergence".  The closest example of the piece of glass I have is at the ongoing Exhibition of his work at The Hudson Gallery in Sylvania, Ohio.  I would put a link to it here, but can't remember if I am allowed to do this here?  However, it is very easy to find on Google!  Just enter:  Hudson Gallery and Labino and once you get to the on-line site go to Artists and click on his name.  Once you get to the works they have on exhibition of him, just click on the "pink" vase near the bottom.  This will tell you what they are asking for this piece and its dimensions.  The vase I have is 1/2" taller, 6 years older, and much more uniform in detail.
  My Labino vase is 5" X 3" X 3".  See photos that I have attached.  It is also practically mint, museum quality!  The only scratches, at all, are on the bottom where it sits.  And there aren't a lot there either.  I wrote to the Corning Museum of Glass, and one of the curators wrote me back saying they had 2 examples of this vase in the museum and could not justify buying it, and I know they rely a lot on donated pieces.  But, she did say, from the photos I sent her, that the example I had was the finest one she had ever seen, of this type of Labino blown Art Glass.

I guess what I am asking for is either a direction to go with the sale of this and/or a fair market value I could expect to sell it for?

I am no expert in Studio Art Glass, but I do know that this Labino vase I have is the real thing and one of the finest examples.  See photo with "Labino" signature on bottom and the date 1-1978.  Also there is a little glass that was formed under the signature that, from what I have researched thus far, is not just a piece of dross or mistake he left there.  He was very meticulous in his work, that's why I believe that.   If anyone knows what this could be, I would be interested in what you have to say? 

If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it?!  Even if you can direct me to someone else or another resource?  I am reluctant to sell this, but I have a LOT of medical bills piling up!

Thank you for your help and consideration, in advance!

Regards,

westred
westred......yea, ya betcha!

And God said, "Let the weights hold down the papers!"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Help with a piece of Dominick Labino Art Glass.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 03:19:33 AM »
Hi:

My strongest advice would be stay away from eBay on this one, if you want to maximize your return. I think you would be far better to go with an established auction house, like Dan Ripley (info {AT] antiquehelper [DOT} com), DuMouchelle  (info {AT] dumouchelle {DOT] com), or Skinner's (see http://www.skinnerinc.com/appraisals/form.asp). I'd suggest contacting them with these pictures and seeing what they have to say.

Sorry I can't tell you anything about value. I know some Labino goes for quite a bit, and others only a medium amount.

Good luck.

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline westred

• Members
  • Real Murano ONLY comes from Murano, Italy!
Re: Help with a piece of Dominick Labino Art Glass.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 09:43:15 PM »
Thank you langhaugh, I will check it out!  I really appreciate your feedback and leads!

Regards.............
westred......yea, ya betcha!

And God said, "Let the weights hold down the papers!"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand