No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian or studio? Crackle glass (perfume?) bottle  (Read 3054 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Bohemian or studio? Crackle glass (perfume?) bottle
« on: November 20, 2010, 08:59:02 PM »
This is a really pretty piece of green crackle.  It's open crackle and green on clear, measuring 6 1/2" tip to rim excluding the stopper.  However I haven't a clue what it may be.  It arrived with a stopper which I don't think matches and a tiny fleabite in the flat part of the rim which I was annoyed about. However the seller thought it may be a recent (well 1980's) piece of studio glass.  I was told it was bought at the glass museum in the 80's and it might be Iestyn Davies.  However, having seen both the stopper and the bottle, I don't think either are new.  I also feel they don't  match, however there is a curious kind of 'seam' on the stopper and the bottle as well on one side of the inside of the handle area, that looks as if the glass was pressed together all along kind of - that is the only thing which 'may' indicate they came from the same hand, but I am really not convinced.
The glass on the bottle is very seedy with minute black flecks in it.  It looks old.  It doesn't look recent at all.  Likewise the stopper, which is green yellow and dark green flecks mixed, or so it looks.  I thought maybe it was an older piece that should have stood in a stand of some sort?  but then couldnt' think how that might work.  Laying it down on the table is no good 'if' it was supposed to hold some liquid of some sort and also it would get really scratched on the body of the bottle. The bottle is squashed in the middle a little like a kuttrolf decanter and the tail curves upwards. It's not straight and flat.  The neck of the bottle is not ground to hold a stopper.  The rim is ground and not polished.  Help required and would be very much appreciated please. :-\
many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Bohemian or studio? Crackle glass (perfume?) bottle
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:01:17 PM »
more pics

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:53:44 PM »
It is not Craquelle (Crackle), more properly described as stretch decoration. Various ways of doing it.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:20:12 PM »
Sorry Frank I did try to modify my original post but must have messed up.  It is uncased and appears to me to be open crackle.  The ridges are ridges that can be easily felt and it seems to be green on clear then crackled.  However, I am now off to look up stretch decoration.  Thank you :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 11:19:14 PM »
Frank thanks for that - so, am I right in thinking that craquelle seems generally to be one colour, blown to shape, dipped in cold water to achieve the craquelle effect and then heated again and then either left open crackle or cased clear?  Giving that 'glittery' craquelle appearance.
Whereas with this piece it appears to be blown in clear, cased in green, dipped to achieve the crackle effect on the green and then reheated and blown or hotworked again to the shape, stretching the green out to wider 'crackles' thereby showing the clear through. And then in this case , then left open not cased.  So therefore should not be described as  'craquelle'?
   The nearest I can find to a similar effect  to mine is these below:
 I've  seen Kralik vases that have this effect.  Wayne has a vase on this page that is remarkably similar in decor and the neck looks similar on the green version (scroll down to the 'crackle' effect vases)

http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/artnouveau_glass/artnouveau_glass.htm

another in a similar colour and effect is this one (although it has a lot more iridescence)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_N3vz73gSjNQ/TEjXYgVS1WI/AAAAAAAADPY/XCcSzw94fpk/s1600/K002.JPG

Going back to the source of the piece, I don't feel this is  studio glass really, although I could be wrong :-\
thanks again.
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »
Yep, that is how. Craquelle though is where the body is covered in tiny cracks.

Why not contact Iestyn Davies, a no is as helpful as any.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 11:40:10 PM »
Some refer to this finish as soft crackle....... Being heated more than usual to soften the edges more than commonly seen. Another style of glass referred to as crackle by some appears to contain small fissures in the glass itself. An example of this style of crackle is shown in the last image, a vase by Welz.

Crackle glass is not necessarily a single color of glass, although that is the most common type that people are familiar with. Kralik did several crackle glasses in two colors, with a colored ground and a white cracked casing being one of the more unusual. Several examples of two color Kralik are attached.

Loetz Mimosa (the decor name for what was originally referred to as crackle) is generally a gold irridized glass over a clear ground, although there are examples known on colors also.

Many people, especially Americans, use the term "Stretch" to describe an onion skin effect....  American stretch is an onion skin effect exclusively, which is obtained by applying metallic salts to the surface of a formed piece and reheating it to create the onionskin effect caused when the glass expands more than the metallic salt surface.

examples here:  Shetlar Stretch Glass

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 11:57:33 PM »
Thank you both.  Craig thanks for the pics. 
I think I've got it :) I love this effect of the coloured glass over another colour but I have to confess I am not really a fan of the 'craquelle' pieces which have little cracks/glittery effect.

I have one small piece of yellow cased in white crackle which again is a similar effect to this green piece (pic below)

Frank, I will email him just to check I think.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 07:54:57 PM »
I think this might have been made by Stuart Ackroyd
I came across some perfume bottles by him this evening and mine immediately sprang to mind :

http://www.eclectic-df.com/shop/stuart-akroyd/#

http://www.jazzitupinteriors.co.uk/acatalog/TURQUOISE-HAND-BLOWN-GLASS-PERFUME-HOLDER-BY-STUART-AKROYD-SATopfinSITurq.html#SID=692

The Cecilia Colman gallery says this:
' Stuart Akroyd studied glass design at Sunderland Polytechnic and gained his mastery of the art at the International Glass School at Brierly Hill in the West Midlands.'

When the owner said she bought it at the glass museum perhaps Stuart Ackroyd's work was sold there?  I could always ask him but that would be too easy.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 03:43:50 PM »
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia