No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id for possible Walsh Pompeian glass.  (Read 5127 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id for possible Walsh Pompeian glass.
« on: November 20, 2010, 09:37:29 PM »
I don't have much success with finding the real thing, and tend to steer clear of the odd piece thinking it's probably Chinese anyway  - but took a punt on this one for the following reasons...........
up close it has wear in suitable places.......has ground/polished concave pontil mark.....the underside of foot has very clear 'wear ring' typical of 1930 - 1940 period.......has a feint but noticable iridescence over the whole outer surface......quite a reasonable 'ding' when struck...........only cost me £7. Sterling, which wouldn't be the end of the world if I've got it wrong.     About 135mm/5.25 inches high.        So now I hope Ivo doesn't say it was made in Cairo last year, and fingers crossed I might have it right this time

Offline keith

• Members
Re: id for possible Walsh Pompeian glass.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:45:19 PM »
Not an expert but think you may have struck gold there Paul,hope so :hiclp: :thup: ;D,very like the one's in the book.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:03:51 PM »
thanks Keith - I'd give you a kiss if you were nearby, sailor - you definitely now get the 'blue coach' pin tray.   I've only got back home this evening, so haven't had a chance to look at books   -   which one/s are you referring to?    But anyway, assuming you are right, then I'm chuffed. :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 01:08:40 AM »
I'd settle for a handshake :wsh: it's 'The Glass of John Walsh Walsh' by Eric Reynolds. ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 09:27:16 AM »
uhmmmm  -  just my luck.......it's not one of my 52.5 books.......oh well, another one to buy I guess.   thanks again Keith :)

bfg

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
sorry to dredge up an old thread but did you get anywhere with a confirmation on this one Paul?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
sorry to say I didn't progress it any further - but in my own mind had come to the conclusion that it was 'Pompeian' - so rather let the matter drop, and since I now can't find the piece I may well have parted with it, so will never know for certain.         I tended to take Keith's word for it - him being such an expert and all that ;D.
I did get rather keen on this bubbly stuff, but now seem to have only one blue piece left about which I'm not too sure  -  although I've a few pieces of non-bubbly that are backstamped with the factory name so problem there  -  I have a fantastic little blue bubbly grapefruit dish with a backstamp that rings like a bell.        Are you really good at knowing your Walsh from your Wash? ;)               I do now have Reynolds book, which is very useful and which I'd recommend. :)

bfg

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 06:04:53 PM »
hi paul thanks for the update.

nope, never handled a  piece  of pompeian before, newly acquired along with a bubbly purple footed bowl with overturned rim lol.

have ordered the reynolds book. this one does glow under uv but very sludgy green, more manganese than uranium and only slightly elevated radiation level (against background) and am still looking for the elusive mark!

would love to see  pic of the grapefruit dish if you have one on file

mel

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 06:39:17 PM »
My gut says this isn't Pompeian.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 08:09:42 PM »
well, that's the last time I speak to Keith ;D           Is it possible for Lustrousstone be a little more specific please ;)        This one didn't glow, but Walsh did produce green examples with a uranium content  -  I have the same little green violet vase as Christine (an example is showing somewhere on the her gallery - and from memory I think they both have the earlier form of backstamp).         There seems to be a frequent assumption by sellers that anything like this with bubbles has to be Walsh, and the price goes up accordingly, but I've now stopped trying to collect them, although would buy a Walsh piece if it was cut glass.           I do have a tallish bubbled blue vase that lacks a ground/polished pontil depression - has simply a flatish base with much wear - this also is shown in the link provide, below.

Purple sounds o.k. Mel, although not so sure about the folded rim.              I get the impression that the Walsh backstamp appears less often on the large coloured bubbled pieces than on clear/cut glass  -  but even then it can be the devil to see  -  often very feint and not always the entire word appearing.
Of course, it might be that all of Walsh's bubbled green contains uranium, which is why Lustrousstone is doubtful of this piece  -  but that is just my personal thought.
If you're getting a manganese glow (a dull greyish green) then presumably there won't be any uranium at all, so can you explain to a thicky please Mel what you mean by "elevated radiation level" ;D

see here for a link to my bubbled blue grapefruit dish...  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,48144.msg271244.html#msg271244
which as you will see does have the backstamp.

I've seen a lot of bubbly glass over the past few years, but I think you need to handle a lot of material to feel sure about what you are buying as several factories produced similar products - I don't think I'd be very certain about most of them - but they are attractive, and probably make a good display.

If you need any information on Walsh pieces prior to the arrival of your book, do give me a shout. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand