No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Webb Corbet vase-information pretty please  (Read 6011 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Large Webb Corbet vase-information pretty please
« on: November 21, 2010, 05:33:05 AM »
Greetings again- this auction # 333554094  on Trade Me.co.nz has come up and I would like some indication of the age, designer and also the glass cutter. Any information would be gratefully received.
Regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Large Webb Corbet vase-information pretty please
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:25:53 AM »
It looks to me very like a design by Irene Stevens between 1947 and '49.  Apparently Irene Stevens liked to use 'polished roundels' .  This information comes from Nigel Benson and Jeanette Hayhurst's book, 'Art Deco to Post Modernism, A Legacy of British Art Deco Glass'.

I think you need someone like Nigel or Bernard to identify this one for definite, so I'll leave any further comments to them.  Hopefully they'll be along soon :) 
Leni

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:46:15 AM »
 :spls2: Thanks Leni-  I did have a vague feeling about Irene Stevens but as I am still in exile in Australia sans books I was not too sure- will wait for Nigel or Bernard if they spot this post. regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:20:42 PM »
Hi Carol i have two massive Irene Stevens cut vases they both have very deep cut wavy lines going across the vases as well as the roundels .
 At the moment i am having a dinner party so will get back when sober . :kissy: jp >:D Brendan sends his love . :phew:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 08:09:31 PM »
comment from Leni......I think you need someone like Nigel or Bernard to identify this one for definite, so I'll leave any further comments to them.  Hopefully they'll be along soon .........favouritism, obviously.......I was chided for recommending/naming experts >:D

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 09:08:57 AM »
I'm not sure I understand your comment, Paul.  Would you (or perhaps a moderator) care to explain it?   :spls:
Leni

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »
Leni — I can't speak for Nigel, but I don't like being named or recommended as it doesn't leave me a way out.   Also I'm one of the minority who doesn't like publicly discussing live online auctions (except in the case of obvious fraud).   I don't think it's fair.   It also puts me in an awkward position if I want to bid.

I'm a small scale dealer, so many in GMB land are valued customers, suppliers and friends, so I have to be somewhat circumspect about what I write and whether I write it.

Finally, I am constantly amazed that anyone should want to read anything I write.   Accordingly I have this old-fashioned view that it should be in the best English I can produce, with correct spelling, grammar, capitalisation, punctuation, word spacing and structure, to make it as easy as possible for the reader.   On occasions I've used a subeditor to check complicated pieces.   Writing doesn't come easily — I'm a two-finger typist, and a decade of enforced illiteracy early in my career didn't help.   So I can have a real problem with the time involved.

I've expressed these sentiments before.    I expect this is what Paul is alluding to, unless it was one of the few occasions when I've been misquoted or quoted out of context.   (... and that last sentence is just to show you that I can write ungrammatical English without any effort at all)  ;D

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 12:23:09 PM »
Heh, Heh, Heh.............you can always just ignore it Bernard >:D ;) >:D

Nigel

PS. Nice vase!

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »
I see.  Thank you for explaining, Bernard.  I apologise.  I'll be sure not to mention your name again :pb:
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »
Unless I am approached off board to join a discussion I generally ignore any suggestions that I should respond. I respond to a thread if I have something to say.

On the other hand if someone has posted in the thread that someone else should give an opinion then there is a possibility that I will not join at all even if I know the answer.

I have some idea of the knowledge sphere of a handful of GMB members but I do not actually know all of their knowledge sphere. More importantly I do not have a clue about most of the other members range of knowledge. What I do know is that collectively there is a vast amount available here. On the other hand it is perfectly human for someone who knows a little on a subject to recommend those from whom they have learned. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that the GMB is regarded by far too many as an 'exclusive' club, which it really is not but somehow many do have that impression. But it is also a fact that many with expertise acquired through diligent research can be deterred from posting when strong personalities are afoot, or because they are overly humble and prefer not to be seen as 'a source of wisdom'.

Then of course even bringing up these type of subjects causes problems because some will assume they are being attacked for what they have written and react off the cuff... which before you know it has turned into another 'digging' match.

Me I just say what I feel on these issues, been here to long to give a toss what people say or think about me. I share my interests with the world because I care too. I might be right or wrong or somewhere in between - does it matter. (Question mark omitted deliberately)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand