No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Webb Corbet vase-information pretty please  (Read 6007 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Re: Large Webb Corbet vase-information pretty please
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 02:21:02 PM »
johnphillip- would love to see pictures of your vases when you have time to post.
 Leni many thanks for your post which appears to have unwittingly caused a ripple.
Bernard  I can appreciate your caution in being "named" for the reasons you  have explained so well,and Frank your comments are always welcome.
regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 02:40:49 PM »
Since it was my comment that started this, guess I should comment..........
Bernard and Frank - your candour and explanations are refreshing and helpful, even if they come from slightly different directions perhaps.   It is true that some respondents can make beginners feel a little overawed and uncertain as to whether to stay.    I doesn't require much to be friendly - although I guess that some of the crass questions (and I'm as guilty as any) must make the more experienced wince a little. :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 11:42:20 AM »
Paul said:
......some of the crass questions (and I'm as guilty as any) must make the more experienced wince a little.

Not at all. We (how presumptious of me!!) have all been there and surely remember being in that position ourselves. For that matter, I certainly have constant reminders of how little I know. It's that old expression that goes something like, 'the more you know, you realise the less you know'.

As for the answers by Bernard and Frank I can concur with parts of each! I'd add that there can also be times when the answer is not at my finger tips (and has gone from the memory bank*), and I do not have the time to check it out. Sometimes, when that has occurred, somebody else has supplied the answer and it's not necessary to say anything. Then of course there's the times when you mean to come back to it, but you forget *   ::) :huh:

* Often referred to as a seniour moment :-[

Nigel

PS. Nice vase. Oh!.......... said that before *

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »
I don't mind crass questions, there was a time I had not heard of Art Deco. My sometimes crass answers can irritate though  :24:

Pet hates are titles like "What is this glass" or "Can you ID my glass" - only rarely am I tempted to open them...usually plenty more interesting titles to look at. Oh, and questioners who (apparently) don't read the replies they do get.

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 11:20:44 PM »
Greetings oh helpful ones- the vase under discussion was offered and I treated myself to an early Christmas present but cannot unwrap until I return to NZ, upon which time I will post new photos and re ignite this thread as I realise the single picture in the auction was not enough. I will admit a love of clear glass and nice cutting when it comes down to the wire. Many thanks again, Carol
Carolglass

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 03:18:45 AM »
Well at last new pictures of this lovely vase now in my hot sticky little hands he he.
Finally unpacked this lovely vase and I was very impressed with the cutting.
It has a circular silver sticker that clearly says " Webb Corbett Finest English Crystal Stourbridge "' it is in good order , no chips or cracks, no other marks or stamps ; quite heavy and is 24 cm high, base 8cm and 13.5cm top.
I now have 20th C British Glass by C Hajdamach and after having a peruse; am a little conflicted as to if it is an Irene Stevens design-so many designers of the period produced designs that were quite similar, the sticker is authentic, I feel.
So with the new pictures can anyone point me towards more information on Irene Stevens or any of the other Webb Corbett designers around at the same time.
regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 07:01:14 AM »
Just spotted this thread again and wanted to say how much I love your vase, Carol!  :girlcheer:

As for information about Irene Stevens or any other Webb Corbett designers, do you have Nigel's book yet?  It's only small, but it's beautifully formed (as the saying goes  ;D )  Other than that I can only think of Hajdamach, which you have already read. 

I think it would be nice if we had a section specially for cut glass, as it seems to be of somewhat limited interest to the 'glassies' here at the moment  :-\  A separate section would mean questions about cut glass didn't so quickly 'drop off' the bottom of the page! 
Leni

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »
Suggestion placed before board Committee.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 09:11:44 PM »
Well call me unobservant!! Whilst trying to take a better picture of the base, a faint acid stamp was revealed on the lower edge of the vase-possible this will date is a bit more accurately. Yes Anne the vase is lovely- I have had a good run lately with my purchases.
regards from a picture perfect New Zealand. Carol
P.S remind me again-Nigel's book? Having a guppy moment looking at my beautiful view.
Carolglass

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 03:30:38 PM »
I find Webb Corbett marks are hard to see too Carol, so don't feel bad! :kissy:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia