No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kaj Franck in Designlasin  (Read 3268 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Kaj Franck in Designlasin
« on: December 31, 2005, 03:02:13 PM »
Ref

Page 136 of Designlasin 'vases with distensions' by Kaj Franck

Fourth vase from the right

This is the vase that caused some contention and we thought was Alsterfors. It is 18cm exactly as in the book and the form is really similar. What do people think? I can read it says cased but not if white. I do know it says not signed as is the case for my vase. Factory name not given - it says Franck worked for Iittala till 1960 (Miller A-Z) and that is the one date given in Designlasin. But he also worked for Nuutajarvi from 1950 to 73.

So same size and shape, but I am new to this so is it?

Thanks for your help

Adam
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 03:41:00 AM »
I have a picture of this vase with a strong attribution to Kaj Franck for Iittala 1960. It has been sent to me by a glass collector friend who agreees it can indeed be found on Page 136 of Designlasin - unsigned, height 18cm as with my white vase.

See how the top section height varies on these hand made pieces

Any comments appreciated

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 07:45:55 AM »
Hi David

I noticed the variation in the height of the top of your vase, and thought it might be an acceptable difference, but I'm not sure.

Ivo's a bit of a Kaj Franck fan, so if you don't get any replies to your posting, it'd be worth bumping it up near the end of January.  I think that's when Ivo comes back.   :)
I am not a man

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 06:14:19 PM »
Looking at the clear glass at the bottom of the white vase implies to me that the vase is cased, albeit very thinly (although clearly if you've got the real thing to hand you can tell for sure). Only your extract suggests that the white wasn't cased ?

taylog1

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 10:52:35 PM »
Thanks Max and Taylog1

I agree with you Max about the height issue, it is a slightly longer (1cm?) chimney height in the blue vase. But I have often found height issues in factory glass, remember my 'Sandringham' candlestick in blue that was just over 5" in height, when most are 4.5" - it was the real thing with Wedgwood marks to base, Nigel Benson said it happens occasionally (see thread). Picture is purely as evidence that height differences can occur. Of course in the white and blue vase we are dealing with, it is more a proportion difference as the height is the same for both 18cm

this item is over 5" when most are 4.5"

Taylog1 - Thanks, I state these vases are described as cased in the Designlasin. My white one is cased, and although you can't see it that well the blue one is also cased (to the same level), I have handled it recently so as to measure the proportion (diameter) of the distensions. They are the same for both vases give or take a mm or two - the height at which distensions occur is slightly diiferent in the blue vase, as the chimney is a bit longer.

Thanks

Adam P

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 10:52:59 PM »
Well spotted Gareth.   :)   The book doesn't show that it's cased, but it's only a drawing, so hard to tell.

I have to say that David's vase says Alsterfors to me, but that's only a gut reaction.

Hmm....time someone brought out the companion book to Smoke & Ice!  :)
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 11:18:28 PM »
Right I see what you mean by extract - the extract in Designlasin - I see the word missing is Puhallettu which means blown, is that the same as cased?

I am new to this book and still trying to interpret it. It says 'Vase 18cm in Blue and ......'

Thing is the blue vase is cased like the white so neither can be by Franck? Wow they are both so similar to the drawing pp136, the height and colours are the same as in the drawing. If it is by Alsterfors (our first guess) they came very close to this design wise.

:?  :?  :?

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand