No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible Swedish Sea Glasbruk for confirmation.  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible Swedish Sea Glasbruk for confirmation.
« on: November 23, 2010, 08:58:20 PM »
Although the size is wrong, it looks superficially quite like the Sea Glasbruk vase in clear cased forest green on page 117 of Pina's Fire & Sea.   The colour is a good match, and on mine there are four (front, back and the sides) grooved indents - and there appears something similar on the book example.  My vase is about 225/8.75" tall - as opposed to the 12" in the book -  so now not really sure, and hoping someone may have a better idea.    I don't know if the example shown in the book has a similar base to mine i.e. flat polished with a ground/polished pontil mark.  thanks for looking :)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: possible Swedish Sea Glasbruk for confirmation.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 06:46:41 AM »
Hi:

The base is consistent with what I would expect a Sea Glasbruk base to look like, but they're usually marked. Aseda, on the other hand, usually just have the label. I don't recognize it as an Aseda form, though. If Swedishmom is around, she is very knowledgeable about Aseda.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »
thanks David  -  and when you say the SEA Glasbruk are marked on the base, do you mean a dremmel type mark, or would it be more a diamond point scratch sort of mark, or even a sandblast/etching.           Regret I have no knowledge of this particular factory, and very little of Aseda.
Am I correct in believing that............SEA Glasbruk are still manufacturing - although Aseda finished producing, as an individual output, after 1977?

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 12:24:48 PM »
Paul:

I've got the same understanding about the history of Sea Glasbruk and Asëda as you have. I'm relying--wisely or not-on Pina. Distinguishing between diamond point and dremel is not my strong point. I think it is diamond point, but here are two examples for you to judge for yourself. I've got a couple of Sea Glasbruk pieces that are not marked (they have labels), but they look like later and less well done pieces than the two in the attachments.

David

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
thanks David  -  and believe you are correct, and your two attached examples are diamond point  -  when a dremel has been used it is usually possible to see the 'chatter' marks left by the oscillating/rotary action of the tool.   
Emmi  -  am sure you are right, although with my limited experience of 'Magnor' (I still have only one piece) - I tend to think of their production as having controlled bubbles when in this shape  -  although doubtless they produce shed loads of material without bubbles.        However, I believe that Magnor did/do offer this colourway  -  although can't look at my books just now as I am at work (unlike some ::))

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 02:50:51 PM »
The two glass works are not the same.

Sea Glasbruk is a small glass works of Kosta Boda/Orrefors Group and lies a short distant up the road from the Kosta Glassworks.

I assume if the work is signed Sea then it is Sea. The value for their production in the secondary market is weak.

Aseda Glassworks is no longer in production. Their factory was in the northern part of Småland and has been closed for some years.

Bill Geary

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »
Bill - appreciate your input as always. :)   Acquired your book recently, and would complement you on high quality production and worthwhile addition to the library -  but why isn't this vase shown in your book ;)
I think we do realize that SEA and Aseda are/were separate outputs, but thanks for the reminder  -  also believe that we covered this somewhat earlier in the thread. :)
Very unfortunately, the vase in question lacks any kind of marks which a bit irritating, as this always hampers effort to locate provenance.
However, your further research would be very welcome, and hope we may eventually run this one down.
Kind regards to you     Paul S. 

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 06:05:47 PM »
I think Bill's saying that Sea and Sea Glasbruk are two separate entities, a fact I keep forgetting.

Anyhow, I think we are talking about Sea in this case.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand