No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: mystery drinking object.  (Read 6114 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: mystery drinking object.
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2011, 07:19:38 PM »
While trying to find something on hyacinth vases, I found this with its helpful second page illustration

Hopefully the link will work

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2011, 08:04:20 PM »
It certainly makes it clear how they were used :)
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »
'do-it-yourself' expressing - and very ingenious indeed.      We used to syphon petrol from the car a bit like that.      However, I can't quite fathom what is going on in woood cut No. 6 - and the German is beyond me.   Looks like someone is presenting some milk to a mother perhaps, or is the seated woman (she's the one holding up the magnifying glass) giving away some milk.      I can see words like Kindes and Mutterleib which look as though they are self-explanatory.  Anyway, some of them have been to a party, because they are still playing their instruments.     thanks to Lustrousstone for sharing this interesting tit-bit ;)   

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Great link, and very interesting prints and article.  The one Paul refers to says,  "Shown here is the celebration of the baby's first movement.  From the 'book of the art, through which worldly man may become spiritual.'"  Not sure what mom's holding - a mirror?  There's an interesting illustration of baby bottle-type things near the middle of the article - vessels with claspable tops and tubes sticking out.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »
thanks for your translation Kristi - and I have looked again at the illustration, although don't think I'm a lot wiser as to what exactly is going on.    The entire article looks very interesting - just a shame I can't read German.      However, it was for the second page illustration/explanation re the use of these pieces, that Lustrousstone's contribution was very helpful.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2011, 07:33:23 AM »
Yes, it is indeed interesting!  A detailed account of pregnancy, birth, and breast feeding in the middle ages, from the mixtures of herbs used in various stages, to where they cut the cord and what it was tied with, to the relative mortality of infants under the care of a wet nurse in the child's home vs. with her family.  You find the dangedest things looking for info on hyacinth vases.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2011, 08:20:56 AM »
I didn't think it was that detailed. To read it in English just copy it into Google Translate.
Julie

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2011, 09:08:20 AM »
thanks very much ju1i3  -  I am indeed ignorant of the ways of the www - such wonders of the modern age never cease to amaze me...........alternatively, of course, perhaps I just need to spend more time in front of the screen :)         I take it that they have a translator on hand for most of the day and night ;)

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2011, 02:55:10 AM »
I tried Google Translate (that's a new one to me!  No idea there was such a tool), and it said the doc was too large.  It is indeed detailed.  Even tells the methods and implements midwives used to get a stillborn fetus out. I found it especially interesting that they knew of the benefits of breast milk in making the baby strong and resistant to disease.  Apparently they also knew the importance of the bond developed through breastfeeding, though it didn't stop some families from getting wet nurses.  Children were nursed until they were 2.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2011, 08:30:31 AM »
sorry, that was probably more graphic than anyone needed.  Not to mention off topic.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand