No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My first -- Mdina  (Read 4060 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
My first -- Mdina
« on: November 26, 2010, 07:15:05 AM »
  I stumbled upon this in a Discount Bin today.  When I saw the label, I thought I better grab it.  I never even noticed there was writing on the bottom till I got home.  I am assuming they are Love Birds, has the Mdina Sticker on it -- signed on the Bottom....but what year was it made.  Is it newer, or what date?  I do not have a piece of Mdina, even though I know you folks post lots of stuff on it.

Is it just decorative birds -- or is it a Paperweight?  I am assuming it is, but if not -- it can be moved.

It is in good shape, except some chips at the bottom edge -- but for being in the Discount bin -- I thought it could come home with me.

TIA -- for any other info, as I do not know much about the items.  I know you folks have lots of vases and stuff, but are these different -- or common??

Thanks

*( If I had not seen the label first -- Honestly, I think I would have thought it was Chinese, and kept on walking -- since this is my first piece )  :spls:

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: My first -- Mdina
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:52:54 AM »
These labels were used until the 1990s, which is probably when these birds date from.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 07:20:48 PM »
Nice find, Rose.  It's hard to believe the label stayed in place (all the way to the discount bin)!  A piece with signature and label is always good.  Your little Blue Birds will be very happy anywhere you choose to show them.

Enjoy .... Lily :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »
I believe the lovebirds are a post-Harris design, probably Joseph Said. This pair are in what Mark describes as the "jewell-like" blue, and the yellowy streaks and blobs come from the addition of silver chloride salts to the gather. The heat seperates the silver ions from the chloride ones, so the silver is freed to interact with the glass.

This pair have flown a long way to end up in a discount bin!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 11:31:02 PM »
Thanks all --

Yup the Birdie flew the Coop a long ways....and I was thinking, he should be back at home.  So I might post it in the Market place....??

:usd:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:14:19 AM »
Hi Rose,  yes these are lovely, and I am always telling eBayers what they are as they read the signature as MOLINA!! (They make hash smoking bongs!) There are a couple listed at the moment, and a few in the completed listings,  so worth looking at if you haven't already done so.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 12:56:25 AM »
Thanks RosiePosie:
Will see if I can find them.......I am not an Ebay seller so I do not have an account or anything.  Just thought that there are people that really like these.  I mean I like, but need space for other stuff too....and since these are my first pieces, then I would have to start collecting more.....Oh, god where does it end....LOL.  I have a zillion little collections, and trying to get settled on a few less directions here....LOL

If you know what I mean -- then I have the Chinese things too....  :thud: :ooh:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 07:31:40 AM »
To be honest Rose, they're probably not worth selling, especially as they are damaged.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »
I wasn't going to be the one to say that Christine,  I just thought if Rose looked on eBay, she would see for herself that they sell for very little even when perfect......sad really as they are very pretty.  But as we all know, only very very rare glass can still carry any value when it has damage, and even then it is often very devalued by the damage. :cry:

Don't let this dishearten you though Rose as there is lots of lovely Mdina, Mtarfa, Gozo and Phoenician stuff out there to collect, and in no time at all, you will be D***ing (as you know, we aren't allowed to use the word here!) even more glass than ever!! :rah: ( hope they aren't d***ers in her hands!!!)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »
Oh I was not expected very much for it, as it does have some damage too it.  I was more thinking in the lines that it should be allowed to *Fly-Home*.  It is way too cold here for them -- and since I do not have any other pieces to go with him.  I just thought...

Fly little birdie -- Fly home.....  :'(

;D ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand