No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano(?) vase - Pavel Hlava, Exbor?  (Read 2695 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Murano(?) vase - Pavel Hlava, Exbor?
« on: November 26, 2010, 04:25:23 PM »
Hi,
for some years I own these two objects, and have always been curious to learn more about them:

1. Nice heavy soliflor Sommerso vase in 3 colours (orange, blue, purple), 23cm high, 6-angled top, 5-angled bottom. Not marked. Murano? If so - can anybody help with maker, designer, period, etc.?

Mod: Added from original thread:
You may certainly be right that the vase is Czech. It looks like some of the Pavel Hlava designs, just have not yet seen this one ...
edit: Thanks to your input I found this blue-green vase http://picasaweb.google.com/exat53/NovyBor#5160085544765473250, which really looks like a vey similar design.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Murano(?) vase - Pavel Hlava, Exbor?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 11:43:49 PM »
Your vase certainly looks like an Exbor design and the base is consistent with the factory too, even if missing the acid etch. This is possible and there are collectors of Exbor who visit GMb who may be able to help further. Exbor produced very high quality glass items, including their famous fish.

Jindrich has a great Czech glass site at http://www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo with information relating to Czech Glass Reviews from the past on it. There will be many Exbor vases amongst that info if you look into it.... There is an Exbor catalogue of the fish under the catalogue drop down menu. If scrolling is an issue I find the numerical keypad helps...

A lovely vase!

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Murano(?) vase - Pavel Hlava, Exbor?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:05:33 AM »
Hi Robert,
thank you very much for your informations (and the fabulous link -- it will take me some time to look through that website).

Yes, I always thought that it is a lovely vase (althought mistaking it for Murano :) )
I guess the fact that the facets are not flat (like in the typical Murano cut vases) but curved is an important hint...

I am very pleased to learn that it is most probably a Pavel Hlava design for Exbor!

Greetings from Vienna
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand