No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass vase "Leichlingen" ID = Gral-Glas, Leichlingen Atelier  (Read 12616 times)

Offline dirk.

• Members
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: Glass vase "Leichlingen"
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
Will you write a review, Astrid?

Well, I can do a mini review now... For a full review, I'd have to actually read the text as well, right? Not that my German isn't up to it, but I'm usually impatiently comparing pictures to see if I turn up something new and put off reading the text until I am painstakingly trying to find more. I'd hoped to find my blue vase with protrusions as a possible Corona piece, but it doesn't quite match, even though it has style similarities.

It's definitely a good-looking and useful book to have, and well worth buying for people who like German glass from that period. In quality, it's quite similar to the Wiesenthalhütte book. It gives a good overview of different types of glass from different designers (Baumann, Wiedmann, Habermeier, Stadl, etc) in different periods, both from Leichlingen and from Gral-glashütte. And just as with the Wiesenthalhütte book, it comes with a CD ROM that I still have to explore, hopefully it's full of catalogues...

Here is the link at Amazon Germany, which contains some more info:

http://www.amazon.de/gralglas-Deutsches-1930-1981-Xenia-Riemann/dp/3422070133/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300310484&sr=1-2

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 10:11:44 PM »
Dr Ricke was kind enough to correspond with me last month about Czech glass. He mentioned, in passing for those interested, an exhibition (probably in Germany) running concurrently with the Gral glas book launch. If anyone can find a more detailed reference for it, it may be worth posting details to the events page of GMB.... I could not see it advertised there. He mentioned it had opened recently, so there should be time to see it...

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »
Astrid and Dirk, thank you for the links.  :)   I'll wait to see if the book appears in Empik (the largest book store chain in Poland). Although I can't read German, I'm hoping that the photographs will help me recognise more German glass... that would be heavenly.

:hi:

Silly question:  Do you think there's a chance that the book will be translated into English or French?  :-[

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 08:50:31 AM »
@Boba
The exhibiton is in Düsseldorf / museum kunst palast:
http://www.museum-kunst-palast.de/UNIQ130035151717301/doc4007A-page2.html

@Anik
My personal view would be that this book is worth it´s price just for the lovely pictures. There´s also an CD coming with it,
which contains quite some catalogues and brochures with a lot of material.
No idea wether there´s a chance it will be translated or not...  :)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
Thank you, Dirk.  I'll wait a few days to see if it's available to order from Empik.  If not, I'll buy a copy through one of the links above, or ebay.  :)

EDIT:  I decided not to wait...  I'm too impatient.  I've ordered my copy through Amazon and should get the book between the 26 of March and the 12th of April.  ;D

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »
Astrid, thanks a lot for sharing the infos!!
Pity that this vase cannot be tracked down to a designer...

Michael

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 12:17:54 PM »
No designer, but there was a little more info on the CDROM that might be fun to share: this vase was produced both in a clear version, and this version with the cognac coloured streaks, in various heights (seems 20 cm is the highest one). According to the pattern lists, there also seems to have been a version with 3 spaces instead of 2. They had a picture of it somewhere filled with shells and other knick knack, apparently they wanted to market it as a multifunctional glass item. And there was a period price list on the CD ROM: it's original new price was 47 Dmark in 1972, that would be around 23 euros in todays money.

With all the inflation of the last 40 years, I think buying it for about that same amount in 2011 was a decent deal :)

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand