No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass vase "Leichlingen" ID = Gral-Glas, Leichlingen Atelier  (Read 12613 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Glass vase "Leichlingen" ID = Gral-Glas, Leichlingen Atelier
« on: November 27, 2010, 01:50:37 PM »
Hi,
some years ago I bought this rectangular glass vase (height 18cm), brown streaks in clear glass, label reading "Leichlingen Germany".
In the book "20th century factory glass" it says Glashuette Leichlingen was aquired by Gral-Glas in 1959. So is this a Gral-Glas vase made in Leichlingen?
Could you help me with designer, date of production etc.?

Thank you very much,

Michael

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Glass vase "Leichlingen"
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 03:05:11 PM »
Nice piece, is the interior divided or is the piece coming up trailed?

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:25:35 PM »
Hi Frank,
yes, interior is divided (I love this style -- very nice for twigs :) )
I have a 60ies Claus Josef Riedel vase in the same style...

Michael

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 03:54:22 PM »
What a nice piece. I hope they made more so I can find one too...

I've looked up what I have on the Leichlingen glashütte: I know from the Düsseldorf museum page that this type of label was used at least in the 50s. If I have read correctly, production at Leichlingen was halted in 1964.

That would put your vase in the 1950s, up until 1964.

The only designer I have found so far with a connection to Leichlingen in that time period is Hans Theo Baumann, who also has been named in connection with Gral Glas in Dürnau, but that doesn't mean there weren't any others. So, not enough to attribute it to someone, but perhaps useful as a means of further investigation.

The link for the online catalogue of Düsseldorf's glas museum is this one: http://www.duesseldorf.de/kultur/kulturamt/dkult/mkpglas-museumsobjekte/
You can search for designers or glasworks with the 'suche' function on the left.

I found the timeline for Gral glas where Leichlingen is mentioned in 1959 and 1964 at this link: http://www.duernau.de/db199.html

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »
Hi Astrid,
thank you so much for your reply!
I have searched the Düsseldorf's glas museum website, and the only vase which comes close (although round, not square) is this one: http://duesseldorf.emuseum.net/code/emuseum.asp?style=text&currentrecord=111&page=search&profile=objectsde&searchdesc=gral&quicksearch=gral&action=quicksearch&wasaggregate=1&style=single&currentrecord=112
I have seen some similar vases on ebay in different colours.

The book "20th century factory glass" mentions Günther Hofmann as a designer for Gral-Glas from 1970 onwards, and that some of his designs were manufactured at Leichlingen. (Which would mean that glass was produced at Leichlingen after 1964?)
But google doesn't give further information...

Michael

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 04:37:06 PM »
The book "20th century factory glass" mentions Günther Hofmann as a designer for Gral-Glas from 1970 onwards, and that some of his designs were manufactured at Leichlingen. (Which would mean that glass was produced at Leichlingen after 1964?)
But google doesn't give further information...

Michael

Ah Michael, welcome to the world of German glass collecting, a path for the pioneers, almost no travel guides available... :)

Fortunately, a book on Gral glas is in the making, and according to Amazon Germany will be published early in 2011. That may provide some more answers on Leichlingen. Let's keep our hopes up!

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 05:25:20 PM »
Thank you, Astrid! (Nice collection, by the way :) )
I am curious if the new book will answer my questions...

At least I think the style of my vase suggests that it was made after 1964.

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:30:45 PM »
I will give this a polite bump (as the Gralglas experts seem to be around :))

Any new ideas regarding this vase and Glashütte Leichlingen, from somebody who has studied the Gralglas book?

Thanks,
Michael

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »
I haven't received my copy yet. I pre-ordered at Amazon.de, hopefully it isn't delayed.

But incidently, I just bought the very same vase in an ebay auction, remembering it from your thread, so I'm just as committed to finding out :)

Astrid

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »
Congratulations!! So now we are both very interested in researching this vase :)

Saw the vase on ebay, was unlabeled if I remember correctly?

Edit: look what I just found (you had posted the link before, but I haven't seen this one): http://duesseldorf.emuseum.net/code/emuseum.asp?emu_action=searchrequest&newsearch=1&moduleid=1&profile=objectsde&currentrecord=1&searchdesc=Schale/Vase&style=single&rawsearch=id/,/is/,/233241/,/false/,/true
Doesn't help very much, but interesting to see that it came in different shapes...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand