No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano S.V.C.C. ashtray  (Read 4217 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Murano S.V.C.C. ashtray
« on: November 26, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »
2. Ashtray/bowl, UFO-shaped, green glass with brown/blue/dark green splashes, 20cm diameter, heavy. Has on bottom round blue/silver label "S.V.C.C. VETRI D'ARTE MURANO".
I have just found out that this is the label of Flavio Poli's company after leaving Seguso in the sixties. Does this mean it is a Poli design? And when was it produced?

Thank you for your help,
best regards from Vienna

Michael

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Murano(?) vase and Murano S.V.C.C. ashtray
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »
Not sure how that label got onto the second piece, but I wonder if it should be there. I know these ashtrays from Czech (Chrbska) production, never associated them with Italy - perhaps someone will jump on this with more accurate information.

The first piece looks like Exbor - another Czech vase.

Incidentally, you are kindly requested to present only one single piece per thread. If you have two, just start another thread. It helps to keep confusion at a minimum, makes searching easier, as well as the jobs of our moderators. 

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 07:21:56 PM »
Hi Ivo,
thank you for your suggestions!
The label on the ashtray looks authentic, is old and has a lot of wear...
I bought the piece on the fleamarket for little money about 10 years ago, so I doubt that someone placed it misguidingly (but who knows :) )
Although there is very little information on SVCC on the web, I have seen some items with the same label , and to me they seemed of varying quality (one of them being a glass duck, I guess not Flavio Poli designed ;) )

You may certainly be right that the vase is Czech. It looks like some of the Pavel Hlava designs, just have not yet seen this one ...
edit: Thanks to your input I found this blue-green vase http://picasaweb.google.com/exat53/NovyBor#5160085544765473250, which really looks like a vey similar design.

And sorry about posting 2 items in one thread, I wasn't aware of the confusion this will bring for moderators...
Will not happen again!

Kind regards
Michael

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 04:55:11 AM »
I haven't seen enough S.V.C.C pieces to comment either. Hopefully it is authentic, but a pic of the label would be helpful.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 07:02:46 AM »
Jindrich says the ashtrays are not Czechoslovakian. There is some suggestion of them being Romanian or Austrian (Lux), but neither of those is a firm attribution as yet.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,36537.msg199242.html#msg199242

Mixing different IDs into the one thread won't confuse the moderators so much as the thread, and make also it difficult people searching for the thread in future. We can split this fairly easily into two threads, if that's okay with you.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 07:30:04 AM »
I thought that the three colour ashtray was originally done in Murano, then copied in many other places, and it's the copies we see mostly.

As Kane says, it would be very helpful to see photographs of the label , both close up and with a good bit of the piece in the picture also.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 07:35:34 AM »
Ooh, fabulous info, David! So, perhaps genuinely SVCC?  It would be great to sort out the differences. The one I owned had a thinner and more opaque edging, from memory.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »
Thank you all so much for your informations! Very interesting, keep going!
Cathy -- you are very welcome to spilt this thread (espacially because the question about the vase seems to be solved :-) )

I bought the ashtray about 10 years ago on the fleamarket in Vienna. Part of the label is missing (unfortunately the important part  >:( ), so I was not able to identify it but few weeks ago when I did a search on the internet for "vetri d'arte murano made in italy", the readable part of the label. I found a thread in fossilfly forums where exactly the same label was depicted.

Here some pics...

I will post some other items (each its own thread :) ), I would be very interested to learn more about...

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Murano S.V.C.C. ashtray
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 01:00:05 AM »
Thanks for the very helpful photographs, Michael. That label looks like it belongs there. I would take the piece to be what the label says it to be. I've never seen it attributed to Poli, though.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Murano S.V.C.C. ashtray
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 02:13:34 AM »
Agree with David. At least now we know who the copies were knocking off. Amazing how his S.V.C.C work is widely different from his SVdA days. But I also think a little blander. Great find.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand