No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano S.V.C.C. ashtray  (Read 4135 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Murano S.V.C.C. ashtray
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »
Hi, thanks a lot for your replies!
Am I right that there is very little information on S.V.C.C. and Poli's contribution to their products?
Was he the head of that company? Chief designer? How long did that company produce glass (with this label)?

Many questions still :)

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »
Michael:

I think that the reason that not much is published  on SVCC that we know about is that it only produced "art glass" while Poli was artistic director, 1964-6. Poli was 64 when he took the position. The information I have comes from Carl Gable's Murano Magic.

I wouldn't assume that Poli designed this piece, as we don't know know when it was produced. Even if were created 1964-6 that doesn't tie it to Poli with any certainty, as artistic director doesn't mean that he was the only designer.

I don't mean to be negative.  I try to be very careful with attributions, especially when they involve famous designers. It's all to easy for a "possibility" to become a "received wisdom" and soon every vaguely similar piece on the Internet is a Poli masterpiece, whether it comes from Murano or not. And most of the similar ones to this don't come from Murano.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 10:37:45 PM »
David, thanks a lot for your reply!
That is what I meant -- I do doubt that every piece with this label is a Flavio Poli design (mine included).
Still it is nice to own a thing where at least the possibility exists :)

But what is still not clear to me: how long did SVCC produce glass?
Only in the sixties, or up to now? (Which means: does the label at least give a hint on the date of production?)
Any Poli designed pieces known from SVCC?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I am a curious person :)

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 11:41:51 PM »
Michael:

No need to apologize for curiosity. That's why we all frequent (haunt) this site.  Again, according to Carl Gable, SVCC was created in 1898 out of the reorganization of an earlier firm. It was a very big firm, the largest in Murano for a while, with branches in France and Czechoslovakia.

I did a little more digging and Rosa Barovier Mentasti in Venetian Glass writes that SVCC got out making crystal glass after WWII to focus on its other specialty, glass beads. She writes that in 1964 the managing director of SVCC, worried about the future of glass beads, wanted to get back into artistic glass and hired Poli. They produced "brilliantly coloured sommersi, elegant red or yellow pulegoso pieces with gold leaf, as well as objects in purely-coloured or regularly bubbled incalmo blown-glass." Mentasti writes that the firm was poorly organized in the marketing of artistic products. The only pieces I have seen from this period are the sommerso pieces, particularly in brown and green. Poli took with him to SVCC some very good maestri, and they may have stayed on with the firm producing their own designs.

I haven't found anything about when the firm ceased operations. From looking on the Net, the big miscinception seems to be that SVCC was Poli's company, and that he started it in 1963 or 1964.

Hope this answers some questions.

David

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 07:24:58 AM »
Age wise, do you think this dates from the 60's? Would be good if we had more information on S.V.C.C to help tie in designs (as bad as SVdA information wise). Especially as I find very little labeled S.V.C.C about. I must admit, if it was a Poli design the colour combination is a bit odd. Also, does the glass glow at all?

I have seen this label on pieces that I believe dated from from the 60's, due to the design and similar pieces from the era.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 08:11:04 PM »
I'd say 1960's if for no other reason than SVCC were only making beads between 1945 and 1964. It strikes me as a very 1960's early 70's design.

David

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 02:17:23 AM »
I must say what a good flea market find!  How exciting!!  I agree it strikes me as being sixties as well.  I am quite fond of the oddness of this piece.  It's very striking.   :sm:

tam bam

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »
Hi, thanks a lot for this interesting discussion!
I bought this piece mainly because I liked its "1960ies modern" appeal (a little bit like an UFO :) )

And yes, the colour combination is odd.  ;D
But David mentioned pieces he has seen from SVCC in green and brown, so not so far away from this one?

Would it be interesting to find out if it glows?

And don't forget, it is much bigger (20cm diameter) than the ashtrays in similar shape I have seen so far...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand