No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An ice/crackle Celery - ID = Stevens and William / Royal Brierley  (Read 7085 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: An ice/crackle Celery - ID = Stevens and William / Royal Brierley
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 01:15:45 AM »
I did post it a while ago and I think Christine suggested it may have been R. Brierley,it's one of three pieces with the same decor,the vase sprang to mind while reading Pauls post because it's on the shelf by the computer (I don't have The Big Book of v.g but do have his 'Vaseline Glassware')

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 01:17:12 AM »
Forgot to add,no u.v and only the large bowl has  a polished pontil mark ::)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »
thanks Keith - interesting pieces.   Difficult to compare accurately with just a picture on the screen, but there may well be subtle differences in shape when compared with the amber example, and there is, of course, an absence of the ice/crackle effect.   Great shame that at least one of them doesn't 'glow'.   I assume there is nothing similar shown in Charles Hajdamach's volume on C20 glass (one essetial book I still don't have)    I won't comment futher, since Lustrousstone is far more knowledgable than me regarding this sort of thing.   thanks for showing them. :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 03:09:33 PM »
Hello,

I have to make an admission ...... I do not have any of Barrie Skelcher's books, and therefore do not have access to the picture of the vase on page 110 and its attribution. Therefore, I have to ask does he give any reference for his assertion that the vase is S&W/RB, since it would be good to know?

I have had the flecked pieces down to be proved through research in the archives for some time, as my suspicion has been that they are indeed R&W/RB, so Skelcher's reference would be very useful.

Nigel

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 04:26:39 PM »
He does, later...

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 08:36:40 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STUNNING-STEVENS-WILLIAMS-1930s-COLOURED-ABBEY-VASE-/120654794544

Shape illustrated in their pattern books as D107, according to Skelcher

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 12:08:14 AM »
Christine,

Many thanks for your help :) :)

Shame, I can't/don't wish to comment on the listing you've linked to, since it's ongoing!

Nigel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 01:53:35 AM »
I don't mind commenting on the piece on eBay  :24: absolute dung. Rather have some Liuli at that price.

Update, board nanny, how does dung improve on c-rap :huh:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 07:36:52 AM »
The price is rather  :o I hadn't noticed that, but please do comment, particularly on the decor, when it's finished. I have seen a mug with this effect (in an antique shop where it has been forever and now is no longer after I thought I might buy it)  and it occurred to me after seeing something at the National that it was Royal Brierley. The listing was only something I saw on a random browse.

I wonder if these are from the same vein http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,21920.0.html (I must ad my mug to that thread).

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 04:17:04 PM »
The mug is very similar to the small vase/beaker I have(with polished pontil scar).In regards to the S&W 'Abbey' piece I recently saw something in the same decor that had a sticker for Cowdy,Gloucestershire on the base :huh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand