No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An ice/crackle Celery - ID = Stevens and William / Royal Brierley  (Read 7090 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: An ice/crackle Celery - ID = Stevens and William / Royal Brierley
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 06:58:30 PM »
Hello,

OK, no comment, but see Hajdamach 20th Century British Glass, page 109.

Also see http://www.fieldingsauctioneers.co.uk/results.asp?menuItemOn=2&start=380&resultsSalesID=88 lot 610, and compare with eBay item.

People's observations might be illuminating ;) :o

Nigel

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 07:51:51 PM »
The ebay item is miles away from Abbey, but the form is very similar to the vases in this thread.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 08:06:52 PM »
from what I can see in the auction pictures in Nigel's link, these decanters have almost nothing in common with any of the pieces shown here.   They have a surface decoration which is fissured - and their 'swirl' type of coloured decoration is unlike the other 'Abbey' piece shown.    These decanters show a style of decoration which appears to be referred to in Jackson's '20th Century Factory Glass' - page 198.    For those of us who do not know, to what does the word 'Abbey' refer. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 08:26:01 PM »
I'm not saying that anything other than the pieces Nigel has referenced are Abbey (though the fissures in those are a crackle effect). I only pointed out the ebay item because because of it's similar shape and surface crackle to the bits we were discussing and I spotted it while thinking about this thread. Sorry, I seem to have inserted a red herring.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 08:51:27 PM »
No matter Christine - I was being a little over-severe, possibly.    But you have still not answered my question...........    The meaning of Abbey??  - please. :sg:

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 10:34:07 PM »
Paul,

The meaning of 'Abbey' is a type of decorative ware that S&W produced. Both the references that I gave in my last post show Abbey Ware.

So, as Christine rightly points out the crackle effect on the surface, which was introduced a month after the colour only version, in April 1928 (This is similar to Monart's Cloisonne ware, or S&W's Arabesque). The colour only, is large-ish areas of enamel/colour used to make the desired decorative effect - introduced March 1928.

As far as I'm aware at the moment there is no known derivation/reason for the name 'Abbey' being used.

Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 11:01:08 AM »
Nigel - if you are chastising me slightly then I take the point. ;)    In fact, I rather liked the colourway of the 'Abbey' vase shown in the first link from Christine - and described as 'Stunning' - although I sensed there seemed to be a slight air of disapproval of the piece.     I have never purchased from ebay, and wouldn't even know where to start - but must admit that the 'Buy It Now' price did seem a little high.     However, as we all know, desireability is all in the eye of the person with the desire. >:D    Thanks for your enlightenment re the product history and dating.   

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 12:57:42 AM »
Paul,

Chastising....where on earth did that come from. It's so much easier to have a conversation where intonation and facial expression make it clear what is meant. Just answering your question :)

In fact, I rather liked the colourway of the 'Abbey' vase shown in the first link from Christine

I think you're missing the point. Have another look at the eBay that Christine linked to item and compare it with the items I linked to - they are not the same.

Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 09:13:06 AM »
Amazing sometimes how similar pieces can turn up in quite rapid succession - and bit of a bonus that this one should be U., so thought I would include in the same thread.  Has the same concave ground/poished pontil mark as the original Celery shown here - so am thinking almost certain to be the same factory.   Was bought with the wire flower support included, so guess this is probabaly original, and points to a flower vase as probably use.    This shape not shown in Barrie Skelcher's book, unfortunately.   Height is 6.25"/160mm, and base shows wear appropriate for 1940 period. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »
not having seen any of this ice crackle material since my last post, just thought it might be of slight interest to show another piece (very recent find) in this style - and this time a quite nice looking olive colour.   So now I have pieces in U. glass, pink, and olive.     I have also seen a couple of very small tumbler like examples in pink, which I might yet buy. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand