No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An ice/crackle Celery - ID = Stevens and William / Royal Brierley  (Read 7091 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I've included this here since the Celery has an English spelling - but I may have to stand corrected.     I'm assuming modern - but not really sure, and wouldn't normally keep it except that the ground/polished pontil seems to be quality - and intriguing with the word Celery, as don't know whether this makes it a little older or brand new.
Traditional gold/amber colour  -  stands about 175mm/7" tall - and some wear on the base.    Does this effect narrow down the possible outputs, or did most factories turn out this sort of finish?  I'm really lost on this one.    Thanks for looking. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: An ice/crackle Celery
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »
Stevens and Williams/Royal Brierley. BBoVG, p110

There's only one way to spell celery in any variety of English!!!

The mark just means it was made for the UK market.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 10:18:45 PM »
Christine - you're a gem -  and do you know, because it isn't green, I didn't think at all of looking in Barrie Skelcher's books.   Well done and thanks :hiclp:

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 05:39:37 AM »
Paul — "CELERY" exempted it from the purchase tax on non-essential and luxury goods.   Undented ashtrays were often sold as butter pats for the same reason.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 07:40:29 AM »
Paul knows about luxury goods tax
The mark just means it was made for the UK market.

rather than made in England is what I meant (and didn't say)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: An ice/crackle Celery - ID = Stevens and William / Royal Brierley
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »
thanks for the reminder however, Bernard, and Christine is correct - this subject had come up several times before, although must admit I hadn't previously heard of the 'butter pat for the ashtray substitution.    The introduction of Purchase Tax on luxury goods in 1942 was part of the governments war effort to raise money - and this tax remained in force until 1973, when it was replaced by the dreaded VAT. :cry:
Unfortunately, I don't think you'd get much celery in this particular holder, so maybe it really was masquerading as a flower vase - but now I know its pedigree, it will certainly stay with me :).    This gold/amber being a seemingly popular colour, during the period we are speaking of, for factories such as Whitefriars - Webbs - Stevens & Williams - Royal Brierly  -  the sort of colour that you could once speak of as be 'gay' :o
Reference:   The National Archives - Kew.  (Labour and the Redistribution of Wealth - extract from Cabinet Papers 1915 - 1979).   Riveting read :tof:

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »
Without  :hj: is this a shape common to this factory? or as I suspect not, as I have a green flecked vase in similar form except without the polished pontil scar :huh:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 08:24:22 PM »
Hello Keith.       Christine was of course referring to one of Barrie Skelcher books devoted to examples of U. glass i.e BBoVG - aka 'The Big Book of Vaseline Glass', and   whilst I am one of Christine's biggest fans, I do not agree with this sort of abbreviation.   Not everyone will necessarily know what this sort of cryptic reference means, and I believe that book titles should be given in full.   That said, I am full of admiration that Christine was able to id my glass that quickly, and that accurately - something I was unable to do. :-[
I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say 'flecked' - are you saying that yours is exactly the same as mine - except that it is a green 'ice/crackle'  instead of gold/amber.    In the aforesaid book, Skelcher shows an example identical to mine - except that it is in green glass and, I assume, it flouresces.   I am a little worried that yours does not have a pontil scar.   Does your piece glow under the torch???
I have no objection to you adding a pic. of your example to this thread, otherwise we will not know exactly what yours looks like.   Christine is doubltess more qualified to answer your question than me. :)    Oh, why can't I keep my replies short :cry:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 08:34:28 PM »
I think it seems likely that yours is Royal Brierley Keith, but a picture would be good. A different manufacturing technique might avoid the pontil mark.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »
Check it for uranium as well

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum