No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mutli Colored Riihimaen Lasi Oy Vase / Helena Tynell  (Read 4684 times)

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Mutli Colored Riihimaen Lasi Oy Vase / Helena Tynell
« on: December 01, 2010, 03:11:36 PM »
This one seems interesting.  I found this vase that is signed on the bottom both Helena Tynell and Riihimaen Lasi O.Y.  The strange thing is this copper disc on the front of it.  Is this supposed to be here or was this added on later?  Does anyone know what these marks mean on the disc?  Thanks for your help!

PS.  Does this vase have a name?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Mutli Colored Riihimaen Lasi Oy Vase / Helena Tynell
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »
I'm sure someone will be along who will be able to help on this, but in the meantime I looked on Designlasi.  I couldn't see your vase with the insert but there are some multi coloured vases there and your vase looks to be on the first link but without the insert and just named as 'vase'.
Pretty piece.
http://www.designlasi.com/en/esinehaku?keys=&tid2=23&tid5=79&tid1=All&tid3=36&tid4=All
http://www.designlasi.com/en/esinehaku?keys=&tid2=23&tid5=79&tid1=All&tid3=48&tid4=All

m

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 03:41:36 PM »
Ah ha!  Thank you.  I actually looked on that site to find it, but I guess I looked in the wrong place.  I was on another site and found one, but it too did not have the copper insert.  I have a feeling it may have been put on later, though the markings on the copper still intrigue me.

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »
Oh WOW!!! I just realized that the marking on the left is a T and an H!  Helena Tynell!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 05:03:12 PM »
 :hiclp: maybe a one off special?  Whatever, I actually prefer it with the insert in - obtuse as I am  ;D
m

Offline TWave

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 06:41:17 PM »
Hello,

The mark in brass means Turun Hopea. Turun Hopea is finnish jewellery manufacturer.
The brass is for carvings, like as prizes.

The vase was made in two sizes h: 14cm and h:16cm.

http://www.designlasi.com/sites/designlasi.com/files/images/tynell-maljakko-8_0.jpg

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 12:08:19 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I suppose I should remove the disc, though I sort of liked it. Makes me wonder how it ever arrived there.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 09:20:55 AM »
Of course it is entirely up to you ;D, but I wouldn't remove the disc. You could risk damaging the vase, and you now have a history as to what the disc was for.  I think it adds to the vase.  IMHO the disc is decorative and isn't kind of like having a golfer engraved on the front if you know what I mean?    ;D  I think it adds to the vase rather than making it look like a trophy/prize,  - not sure I'm communicating this well :-\
m

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 06:50:14 PM »
I went ahead and removed it with no damage to the vase.  I'm glad I did it.  Thanks for your concern, though!  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand