No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rouby Otem?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Trapper

• Members
Rouby Otem?
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:26:46 PM »
Hi, I wondered if anybody has come across paperweights with an engraved signature on base that looks like R?B?P?ouby Otem?
I can send a photograph once I find out how to. Thanks Trapper (new member)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Rouby Otem?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:18:15 PM »
I suggest you give us some details as to where you got it.  Sometimes it may have been near to where it was made, and that would help people help you.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Trapper

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 03:34:42 PM »
The paperweight was found in Edinburgh last year and is engraved on base with H?P?B?R?ouby? Otem? or similar. The base/stem is crudely broken away from the maker's pole. Trapper

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:03:57 AM »
Nice photos.  Now we need to see the actual signatures.  I don't know if you are familiar withthe close-up setting on your camera (it looks like a tulip on most).  You will need to use it to get the biggest photo possible.  I also suggested some methods to show the signature better in

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=post;topic=35231.msg190970;quote=190970;sesc=9805f4f740ae545475a56917b008551c

Hopefully we can get a clear shot so that it is recognisable to someone.  I especially reiterate that a square on photo is often unsuccessful because of the distortion due to the internal colours of the weight.

Good Luck.

Ross

Offline Trapper

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »
Hi Ross, It is a free hand, very fine, engraved signature but over the bevelled rim of the base. The wear and tear of the glass being scuffed as it has stood on a surface does not help. The only way to read it is with a strong back spotlight and to roll the weight slightly to get top and bottom of the signature into view. I am working on a way to get something of an image copied. I tried to trace it through onto a cigarette paper but that didn't work! Pressing plasticine onto it also failed! Hopefully I will devise a way to do this. Any thoughts? Thanks Trapper.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 12:32:11 PM »
A light dusting of talcum powder into the engraving often helps a lot.
Welcome!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 09:09:51 PM »
I find that for really hard to see ones the most successful is to use a very shallow angle of photograph so that the base/surface is reduced to reflecting light but the signature will appear to be darker.  The problem with talc - which does work most of the time - is that the photo resulting is relatively direct and the refraction and colours of the glass tend to make it harder to decipher.

Ross

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand