No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible unusual colour for 'bone vase'  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible unusual colour for 'bone vase'
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:58:22 PM »
Appreciate this is a common enough design, but looking through my few books I can't find an illustrated example showing a coloured base and clear stem - those that I can see have this combination reversed.    Height is something like 295mm/11.5/8" - and unfortunately there remains a little water staining even after cleaning.   Can't recall now what the base colour was in daylight, but under electric light it shows as a deep and very strong violet.    Whilst the flat base has a quality smooth finish, the outer rim where it joins the rest of the base has a very 'seconds' look.   Is this clear stem with coloured base unusual, or are there shed loads of them around, and I just haven't seen one.  Apart from the original Danish design, think they were only every produced in Sweden (although by several factories).      Thanks for looking. :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: possible unusual colour for 'bone vase'
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 08:50:45 PM »
I saw this one Paul:

http://www.trocadero.com/accents/items/677343/item677343store.html#item

....not as nice as yours mind :sun:....I like the controlled bubbles in your base.

Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 08:57:38 PM »
shed loads in every colour under the sun, as you suspect. Aseda is Swedish, btw.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:01:40 PM »
thanks to both of you  -  and so I guess not quite the rarity I at first thought.             Yes, I agree with you rosie, mine does look better with the bubbles. :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:09:59 PM »
......and I believe yours is a rarity Paul,  yours is the only other clear glass 'trumpet' I have seen. It is sometimes known as a bud vase or a Jack in the Pulpit vase as well as Bone vase,  so worth looking with these names as well.
With a single bloom in,  I think the clear trumpet would show the flower off to better effect,  whilst the coloured ones would compete for attention....aesthetically speaking.
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 10:23:56 PM »
thanks again rosie - although I will disagree with you that an alternative name for these swung bone vases is jip.     I have always understood that for a piece to qualify as a jip the rim must arranged in a very specifically symmetrical style  i.e.  the lobes should be.....lowest at the front, with the sides equal in height but higher than the front  -  and finally the single lobe at the rear is to be higher again.   I think we should describe these Swedish pieces simply as 'irregular, pulled rims'.      However, I do think that jip vases are one of the most iconic shapes in the world of glass - and if I win the lottery, I shall be at Sotheby's with my 'paddle' and will corner the market in 'Favrille' iridescent examples.     And thanks for your faith that my jip is  a rarity. :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 01:16:44 AM »
Gosh, a glass botany lesson and all for free......thank you Paul :-*.....I will try to remember all that info,  but in the meantime, I think I should explain that what I really meant was that your Bone vase is sometimes referred to as a Jack in the Pulpit (jip) or bud vase, (albeit erroneously!) and so when searching for matches, it helps to look in all those categories.....but I expect you knew all that!! :ooh:
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 12:32:49 PM »
yes, you may be correct rosie  -  wasn't there a Readers Digest slogan once that said something like ...'It pays to increase you word power/knowledge'........or some such.   So yes, if you were looking for these things then spreading your net wider would give greater results, possibly.    But of course this 'over-generalizing is really 'the thin end of the wedge' - and jip pieces are, of course, supposed to be copying the actual flower/plant thingy - so I'm sorry but I really can't subscribe to this kind of abuse of correct terminology ;).   
but I expect you knew all that!! -  now you're just flattering me.  In fact, as I have discovered since frequenting the GMB, I have discovered that I know much less than I thought.
However, what makes me smile is this rather erotic euphemism re the use of the appellation 'bone vase'. >:D    It may be that to give a name to a thing does not necessarily define it, and in fact it might just do the reverse >:D   

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 01:01:23 PM »
I 'may be correct'....surely Paul you realise that I am correct in this contect :angel:.....and yes it does 'Pay to Improve Your Word Power' and thanks to Readers Digest for all the enlightening it has given over the years!! ( We always had a copy in the toilet....Dad used to call them 'Bronco Books'.  It was years before I realised the connection with toilets, and assumed he was referring to the fact thet there were a lot of Americanisms in it and they rode their Broncos in the rodeo!!)

However, what makes me smile is this rather erotic euphemism re the use of the appellation 'bone vase'.     It may be that to give a name to a thing does not necessarily define it, and in fact it might just do the reverse'

Paul, I really don't know what you mean :o  I am just a simple nurse. I can cope with a botany lesson,  but biology is beyond me! :srn:

I am, throughout all this friendly banter, making a serious endeavour to find more 'Bone' vases with clear trumpets, and I have been known to be quite tenacious. :hi:
Rosie.

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 04:41:50 PM »
I have seen one of these with a red base & a totally clear one in the past. But the coloured stemed ones are 10 a penny at carboot sales!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand