No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery PK Mark?  (Read 26987 times)

Offline Ron

• Members
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 09:18:23 PM »
Just to throw another letter into the mix - one of the people I corresponded with mentioned the backward letter F.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 10:51:11 PM »
Some of this will be my opinion and is based on the piece that I have in hand and can compare with others. Some is based on the books I have ready at hand.
First we can totally dispell any connection with Durand Kimble. I have the book Durand The Man and His Glass by Edward Meschi. When one views the pictures of Durand glass, one is immediately aware of glass artistry at its best. The PK pieces or DK if you prefer don't even come close.
The word custard glass has been used and there again, in no way do these pieces stand up to the test of custard. Custard glass comes in various shades of yellow, usually very soft and will glow under a blacklight. My piece has no reaction to a blacklight.

Fireglo is the next term banded about. Fireglo has been attributed to the Boston and Sandwich glass company which closed in 1888. Since Durand did not start till 1897 we can safely assume no connection there.

Here is a piece of fireglo to show what it looked like. http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1585

Rather nondescript and I would say somewhat grey in color. However backlit it takes on a whole new persona.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1584

My PK piece does not exhibit any sort of fire whatsoever. So in conclusion we can say definately what it is not. It is not Durand or Kimble, it is not custard, it is not fireglo. By eliminating what it is not, maybe we can move forward to what it is. Terry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ron

• Members
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 03:31:12 PM »
The eBay auction has been revised as a ten day auction with a lower opening bid and no mention of Durand Kimble, instead saying it's probably Bohemian. The Ruby Lane listing was similarily revised.

Offline BJB

• Members
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 03:51:36 PM »
Hurrah  :D

I've got one now, I was feeling a bit left out but I found this yesterday, and to be honest I do quite like it, the black really sets the other colours off.

http://tinypic.com/k4aww5.jpg

And the mark on the base

http://tinypic.com/k4ayh2.jpg

Now all I would like to know is, did Mr. PK do the only painting work on these objects and if he did he must have worn his arms out, or were all the decorators called the same name, spooky or what :roll:

Barbara

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 07:23:15 PM »
Not only that but the middle tail is not a continuation of the loop. This gives a little bit more credibility to the reversed F adding FDK to the possibilities. It is not uncommon for those of us with an F initial to reverse it, my signature is a reverse F in a heart.

Which upsets all officials, banks etc :D

Offline Ron

• Members
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 03:10:57 PM »
I finally found an answer.

The following is a partial quote from the Readers Response section in Glass Collector's Digest, April/May 2001 (their last and final issue):
The PK stands for Phlip Kiluk of New Bedford MA. He was the first decorator at the Sagamore Factory of Pairpoint Glass started by Robert Bryden in 1970. Later he changed his signature to P. Kiluk........My reference for this information comes from "Pairpoint Glass" by Leonard E. Padgett which is out of print.

Connie

Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2006, 10:21:58 AM »
Ron -

Is that date (1970) in the quote correct?  If so, then all these vases are contemporary.

As I stated in the thread about the sandwich glass boat, Pairpoint makes reproduction glass for the Sandwich Glass museum and others but it is usually marked with a P in a diamond.

I am  :?   :lol:

Offline Ron

• Members
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2006, 01:22:58 PM »
Connie - yes, that's when they began operating their current factory and museum in Sagamore. I'm looking for the Padgett book to confirm this info.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 06:56:21 AM »
Glass myths can explode, but I am with the AGG in doubting an attribution to Pairpoint for these dozens of examples that have come to light - in Europe no less -  with a PK signature. The intricacy of decoration is such that it would not be economically feasible to apply such decorations by hand in the 1970s or later as the resulting price would make it unsellable.

And as for the verified Kiluk items that I have seen, these were all much simpeler - in line with the thought that refinery is nice but should not take more than half an hour.  

So I'm not convinced.  Can anyone with the Padgett book look it up?

Offline Glasshound

• Members
    • Glasshound
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 03:45:26 AM »
My excitement at the word soon turned to dismay when I learned that the "PK" was attributed to a Pairpoint decorator in the 1970's.
There is absolutely no way Pairpoint made these vases in the 70's or any other decade.

These vases are obviously turn of the century Bohemian. The "style" of the initials are very similar to many other Bohemian decorators that signed their work.

The mystery continues.....  :?

/Blair
American and European Art Glass, Antique to Contemporary
http://www.glasshound.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand