No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help ? Whitefriars sky blue? and some advice please....  (Read 4418 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
ID help ? Whitefriars sky blue? and some advice please....
« on: December 03, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »
I just received this vase which I bought from Ebay Aus recently, advertised as Murano.
I thought (and still think) it is Whitefriars - possibly a 9572?   - but what is the colour? Is it Sky Blue? It is absolutely stunning under lights.
it is 14cm or 5 1/2 inches high, 10 cm or 4" at widest point.
It matches exactly in outline another 9572 I have in arctic blue, but the thickness of the glass is different. My arctic blue is thickly cased in clear and the central hole - ie where you put the flowers is much smaller than on this one.

and if it is Whitefriars and Sky Blue then some advice please. The sellers description says <<The vase is blue Murano glass in good condition. It has no chips or breaks. It is 14cm high and 11cm across at its widest point. >>

as shown in photos 2 and 3 there are various small chips and flakes around the rim. So I could return it for refund as not as described. However I would lose out on the postage - about $25 AUD (Approx £15) in total. The vase cost me $43.50 AUD (approx £26). If it is skyblue is it still worth what it has cost me even with the damage? I am quite disappointed in the condition - but the colour is glorious!

what would you do? opinions appreciated. 

Of course if it is not Whitefriars sky blue I suppose it doesn't matter........

regards. JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Re: ID help ? Whitefriars sky blue? and some advice please....
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 01:17:31 PM »
Sorry - I now think more likely a 9656?  help needed please  :-[

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 01:40:38 PM »
It looks W/Fs sky blue to me but Emmi is better on colours . a very good buy unlike a lot of W/Fs,  at the moment sky blue is in . It sure is W/Fs .

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 04:24:26 PM »
I would complain about the condition and ask for a partial refund. Don't mention the Whitefriars word

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 12:23:20 AM »
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated.
I have never seen sky blue before - it is absolutely stunning! No wonder it is sought after .

I am still confused about pattern number though?

regards

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »
Looks like 9656 to me 5.1/2 ins  approx . its in the big book MOL dont think its in the small one . :fc:

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »
So much to say .

1)  It looks like Sky Blue 9656 , otherwise known as the Hambone.  It is a bit off spec in that normally they are about 4.5 inches wide minimum, but it still retains the Hambone shape.

2) The 9572 you mention in Arctic Blue and being heavily cased, will not be Arctic Blue as this colour was not cased, never, ever.  Do you mean Kingfisher?

3) Re: damage to rim.  Yes you should ask seller for some kind of partial refund to take this into account in my view.  But the price you paid was very reasonable for this Sky Blue piece, even with the postage, and the condition ( could be polished out perhaps?)  One just recently sold for around £60 on ebay uk + p and p, and even this was cheap as they used to go for much more before the general slump in prices.

Here's a pic of mine, as you can see the extra half inch on the width makes quite a difference to its appearance

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 04:51:41 PM »
Thanks for the comments, VDG,  much appreciated.

The other one I have is a commemorative - engraved for the 1969 Prince of Wales investiture. Perhaps I have that wrong too it may also be 9656  - It is the same shape, height and width as the sky blue one, but the depth is narrower (thinner back to front I mean) . I thought it was arctic blue as I have a Dilly duck - which I also thought was arctic blue, and they are (I thought) the same colour. Pics attached of the other vase. I don't have a digital photo of the blue duck, as I have owned it for 30 years, but can take one tomorrow.  if you can help with what colour they are I would be grateful for the advice.

Now I am really confused........

but it is almost 1am here - past my bedtime.. Goodnight
JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 08:24:11 PM »
The one above is also a 9656 and looks like Indigo, if it has a blue tinge, or could be Pewter if it has a grey tinge - sorry but your photos are not definitive to me on my monitor.

Your duck which you say is the same colour, will not be either Indigo or Pewter as ducks were not made in either of these colours.  So it is likely to be Arctic Blue. Let us see a photo!

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 03:19:40 AM »
Thanks again - the vase is not pewter I don't think, I have a pewter finger vase and it is not that colour, so probably indigo. It seems to me to have a blue tinge.

photo of all three items together attached

Thanks again

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum