No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Engraver Identification  (Read 4527 times)

Offline SCANDIMAD

• Members
Engraver Identification
« on: December 04, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »
I recently had the good fortune of buying this monumental piece of Nils Landberg Expo blown glass from a wonderful German eBayer. What I am trying to ascertain is who the engraver was who completed this incredible piece of work. As you can see by the pictures I have listed here the vase is indeed truely monumental, standing just over 13" tall and 9" wide and fully marked to the base which reads  -  ORREFORS EXPO. N. 3776. D8. BB - As far as I can make out from the marks it is BB at the end and not BG for the engraver Bertil Gustavesson, so my question is does anybody have an opinion as to who this engraver with the initials BB was? Any help would be great. SCANDIMAD

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/000747247-.html

Mod: HTML changed to direct link. HTML has been disabled on this board to prevent abuse.

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Engraver Identification
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 01:28:36 AM »
Wow!  What a great vase.  I can't help with your BB - but I am jealous.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 05:17:55 AM »
Great vase. According to the numbers you provide, The Orrefors book edited by Wickman says that this was designed in 1962 and made in 1968. However, I don't see a "BB" for an engraver. Any other possible letters?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:20:59 AM »
D8 =1969

Engraver :
B
BE
BG
BH

Only Bertil Gustafsson of these worked at OF 1969.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 08:55:23 PM »
Daniel is correct about 1969; I mistyped. Daniel, are you able to distinguish between different engravers? Does this seem to be the work of a more experienced engraver?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 09:09:57 PM »
please provide a pic of the signature, will be easier for sure.

The engraver should be pretty experienced. This is a EXPO piece, that means limited edition. OF wanted to show off good stuff.

Offline SCANDIMAD

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 01:43:20 PM »
Hi Daniel
Thanks very much for your input, today I did get an e-mailed reply from Orrefors, which states the piece was a limited edition in 1969 however they have not elaborated on how many were produced, and yes the engraver was Bertil Gustavssen. I've tried to download a few more pictures with reference of the marks involved on the base of the vase. I must just say though "Bertil" has really shown his talent as an glass engraver, when you really look at this piece in close up it does not take long to realise it is truly wondrous piece of art from a real master of his trade. How would you price a piece such as this? I've really got to think about this because if anything it needs to go on my contents insurance. Regards Den

Offline SCANDIMAD

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 07:13:45 PM »
Here are a few other pictures of the actual marks of this superb vase. Thanks for your help and interest guys!

Offline SCANDIMAD

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 07:18:10 PM »
As you will probably see in the last picture of the 4 i've posted, what I beleived was possibly another "B" on the end could well be a very stylised "G" making it BG for Bertil Gustavssen.

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 08:48:15 AM »
That looks like BG to me as well.

Well it's hard to tell exactly how many expo pieces that were made. If it sold bad few were made.

My grandfather who was a boss att OF once said that 250 pieces was a common number.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand