No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'KRYS-TOL' Custard Glass  (Read 3643 times)

Offline marmeduke

• Members
'KRYS-TOL' Custard Glass
« on: December 06, 2010, 05:23:20 AM »
I've just come into a piece of Custard Glass marked Krys-tol and, thanks to this thread in the Glass Book Review forum, I now know what it is. Colin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
'KRYS-TOL' Custard Glass
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:22:55 AM »
Hello Colin - congratulations on your find, and welcome to the GMB :) - I still remain 'custard less'  -  and I guess these pieces are rather uncommon, at least in the UK, although presumably there's a much better chance of finding them in the States.    You don't show your whereabouts, so not sure which side of the pond you are on.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline marmeduke

• Members
'KRYS-TOL' Custard Glass
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 01:33:20 PM »
I'm in the US. The piece came in a box lot. I had no idea what it was. Does it have much value?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
'KRYS-TOL' Custard Glass
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:39:56 PM »
Colin - If you have a copy of the Jean Loomis book then there is, of course, the price guide included, and from memory this will be in your currency and not Sterling.  Since we don't know which piece you have then it will impossible to give a value.   We tend not to discuss values on the GMB, since these are very much a personal thing and can vary enormously depending a variety of factors.     However, if you are able to indicate exactly which piece you have I'm sure we may be able to offer a guide range from the Loomis book.    If you don't have the booklet then here is your chance to acquire a copy from the author's daughter, and then you will have values for the entire range. :)

Offline marmeduke

• Members
'KRYS-TOL' Custard Glass
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »
Paul - No, I do not have a copy of that book as I've never heard of Krys Tol before. The piece I have is a covered dish; like a butter dish possibly. It's gorgeous with floral decorations and elaborate designs. I will attempt to add a few photos.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
'KRYS-TOL' Custard Glass
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »
'It's gorgeous with floral decorations and elaborate designs'........uhmmmm, undeniably, and when you are fed up with looking at it please forward it to me. ;)
The history of this pattern/design came, apparently, from the late C19 and was offered originally by McKee & Bros. as their pattern No. 140 - although after a somewhat chequered history arrived with Jefferson Glass Company in about 1915 as 'Star Line Krys-Tol' (but is apparently now more commonly known by the name of 'Diamond with Peg' - given, so the book says, by Arthur Peterson).   Quite a practicable name really, when you look at the outline of the design.       Your 'butter w/cover' appears to have been produced in 'Ruby Stained' and 'Custard' - and the thinking is that Jefferson was the only maker of this pattern in 'Custard'.
Most of the 'Custard' pieces seem to be decorated with roses, probably done by Oriental Glass, Pittsburgh, and according to the book both 'Custard' and 'Ruby'Stained' are very often found decorated as 'souvenirs'.
And now for the the value................and you must understand that I am quoting the value given in the Jean Loomis book, and as the author herself said........."a myriad of variables influence a price.   At best, the numbers are only estimates, based the experience of buying and researching 'Krys-tol' for many years".........with the current recession Colin, values may have changed dramatically, and you would do well to contact pressed glass collectors in the States who may have a much more accurate idea of current worth.
Butter with Cover.............'Diamond with Peg a.k.a. Star Line.........Catalogue No. T 1335        for Ruby Stained  -  US$175.            for Custard   -  US$275.

However, whichever way you look at it, very desireable. :)
P.S.   Of course, if I am wrong on any of the above, I do hope the States collectors will put me right very quickly:)

Offline marmeduke

• Members
'KRYS-TOL' Custard Glass
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 10:54:25 PM »
Paul - Thank you so much for that information. I may wind up listing it on Ebay and if I do can I borrow those details? Colin

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: 'KRYS-TOL' Custard Glass
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 04:55:16 AM »
You can throw away any Custard price guides when it comes to the U.S. market & unfortunately its been this way for close to a decade now. You are fortunate to get a bid on just about anything unless its 10-15% of BV...its that bad. Only category worst is stretch & only exceptional pieces in either category will interest collectors. Hopefully yours is one of those cases. Northwood blue or pink stained Grape Arbor & Grape & Cable will still get hearts pumping, but not much else. Its a shame too & even the Custard Glass Collectors Society folded their tent five years ago.     

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: 'KRYS-TOL' Custard Glass
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 09:37:48 AM »
Hello Colin - and yes, you may certainly 'borrow' those details, although regrettably looks as tho there may not be too much mileage in an ebay posting now.    Thanks also to Ohio for a realistic up-date on values.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand