No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Canadian Question -- Missing Link??  (Read 10248 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Canadian Question -- Missing Link??
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 02:15:47 AM »
Some Canada Art Glass has turned up dated 1962 so that would seem to put Calgary definitely out of the picture.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »
David

This discussion pertains to a period which is long after the time frame that I am most comfortable with (1870 - 1920) so bear with me as I try to summarize what seems to be the available information about Canada Art.  Keep in mind that I can only find three examples on the internet on which to base these thoughts.

1. The signature "Canada Art" appears on a relatively small number of pieces made in the same style as Chalet Artistic Glass, Lorraine, etc.

2. The signature is engraved.

3. Canada is script in all three examples (that I can readily find) ie written.  Art varies between each example script (one example) and letters (two examples once ART, once Art)

4. Canada Art could be the maker or a retailer.  Most likely the first as the pieces cannot be assigned to Chalet or Lorraine so the maker is unknown.

5. Canadian Art Glass of Calgary is not the maker (wrong company name, wrong product)

6. None of the ex-Chalet workers have heard of Canada Art.

7. The time frame is likely 1960s.

Are there more "facts" we should be considering?

Sid

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 09:29:42 PM »
Sid,

That sums up pretty much my understanding, although, like you, my interest in Canada Art Glass is peripheral to my main interests. As far as I know, pieces have turned up in Ontario, Calgary and Vancouver, but with Canadian's pattern of geographic mobility that doesn't tell us too much. I understood that the Chalet workers not only hadn't heard the name, they also didn't recognize the pieces. 

I'm going to send a link to this thread to Deborah, who runs the Chalet website, as she's the expert here.  I'm sure she's be very interested.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline chaletvintageartglass

• Members
    • Chalet Vintage Art Glass Gallery
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 11:57:18 PM »
Hi again Sid, David and Rose,

The mystery of Canada Art continues. I went to Cornwall the past weekend and spent the afternoon with three Chalet Maestri. I took the Canada Art cigar bowl that I have with me. I had never shown it to Maestro Panizzon or Maestro Gatto - Gianfranco had seen it before. The other 2 concurred with Gianfranco's opinion - while they felt that the glass was professionally made, the signature is not. Indeed as Sid has pointed out - very often it is inconsistent. To add to that - I have a piece that is signed twice on the base. Moreover, I found a vase outside Calgary last year that was dated as well. When I put the Chalet exhibit on last year, I also spoke about Canada Art to Mario Panizzon (Bruno's son who is vastly knowledgeable about Chalet and very familiar with some of the others) and I have spoken with a glass blower from Quebec that just did his Master's thesis on the the history of glass making in Quebec. The 2 of them had never heard of Canada Art and Mario said it had never come up in any of the searches he has done on business records. Moreover, NONE of the 7 Chalet artists I have met have ever heard of it - therefore, it cannot have been an Italian Canadian glasshouse operating anywhere in Quebec or Ontario during the Chalet/Lorraine era. They knew all the workers and companies - from the cradle! In fact, they believe the piece I took down was Chalet and the pictures I showed them didn't change their opinions either. They are quick to say "Don't know" or "Not Chalet but don't know who" when they do not know so this was a very interesting discussion. However, as most of it was in Italian - no clue to the nuancesLOL

I am starting to believe from everything that I have seen, heard and found out that this is a boutique mark being done on unmarked Chalet pieces - just like the FASCINATION PAR C.M.
etching on Chalet pieces (although they also put on marked Chalet) and the Giovanni sticker you find on unmarked Lorraine pieces. Moreover, recently on my site's forum pages, a collector posted a pic of a Canada Art piece he has that has a Birks inventory label! Again - I am thinking more proof that this is a boutique. I also have a Chalet ashtray, a Chalet ashtray marked FASCINATION PAR C.M. and a Canada Art marked ashtray that may all be different colors but are identical in styling.

So my best bet at this time - boutique that marked Chalet pieces. It would be very interesting if we found pottery marked this way - Tex Novelty, Chalet's first distributor, stickered Chalet, pottery, glass... with "Roycroft" so I think I will branch out my research in that area too as that would help us with "Who, Where, What............". I think we all need to pull a library search too re old telephone books (use 1962 as that was the date on the vase) and see if we can find any companies/businesses called this.

My first experience with Canada Art was in Ontario - bought the ashtray mentionned above and was gloating as was gorgeous purple (very rare re Chalet) and didn't see the signature till got home. I though it was someone with a shaky hand and an engraver that were marking their collection for insurance! Just about fell over when found second piece - coincidentally also purple. Since then have seen blue, amber and green. Have seen ashtrays, long arms, cigar bowl and vases.

Again - this topic comes up alot on the site forum and are some great pics there.

Fun to have a mystery to solve!

Deborah

Deborah (chaletvintageartglass)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 03:28:03 AM »
Thanks for the info, and queries on this topic...

I have yet to buy a piece marked -- but I would say over the years here I have probably seen about 10-12 pieces in the last 20 years or so.  Yes, they remind me of Chalet Glass, but I never bought them because I just did not know who Canadian Art Glass was.  The very nice piece I find, I will buy as I am curious too.  I guess the more pieces we can find (and buy) might help to solve the puzzle...........maybe ????

So I wonder if they could be from somewhere out West area ??  or not??  We all know Winnipeg made Seetusee Glass, so might have their been a company from there that did this for a short time.

I do not know -- but I do know I have seen pieces over the years marked that way.   Would like to see if we could Solve the mystery, or IF there is a *missing link* somewhere...

:huh:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline chaletvintageartglass

• Members
    • Chalet Vintage Art Glass Gallery
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 02:21:25 PM »
Hi Rose,

Just to be clear - Canadian Art Glass does not appear to be Canada Art. I know there was also a company in Calgary called Continental Glass that worked there in the 1960/1970's. Canadian Art Glass moved to Ontario for its final year of business in the 1970's. The Chalet artists had never heard of it either or didn't know of any Muranese blowers that worked there.

Deborah
Deborah (chaletvintageartglass)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand