No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: HELP INDENTIFYING PITCHER &/OR CRUET GLASSMAKERS!!!  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Opalescent glass Girl

• Members
HELP INDENTIFYING PITCHER &/OR CRUET GLASSMAKERS!!!
« on: January 08, 2006, 10:18:41 AM »
Hello!  I registered here hoping that someone may be able to confirm my suspicions regarding aspects attributed to certain pitchers and/or cruets.  It's been impossible to get my hands on a hobbs book, and have been trying to forever, so my literature & resources are limited.  I am trying to find out who made old pitchers & cruets with reeded hadles and polished pontils.  I am personally between hobbs and webb, possibly mt. Washington, and have seen phoenix have similar characteristics, i believe, although i'm not positive.  Maybe beaumont???  So confused!!!  I am asking in general, and also in particular about a blueina/bluina cruet i have in a polka dot/coin spot i.e. Pattern.  It has a reeded handle and polished pontil.  I collect pitchers, among basically everything else (hopeless fanatic!!!) and have seen old pitchers that do have the reeded handles & polished pontils which i generally try to steer away from, as many newer ones have reeded handles.  I do know that some of these are old, and definitely not repro's, but the literature & resources i have are not helpful in determining the maker, and although my parents have collected for decades, and i've learned volumes from them, i'm a newer prodigy, and have done well with most patterns, but am at a total loss here!  I'm just not sure what company had both reeded handles & polished pontils.  I'm hoping someone can help me!!! Any opinions or information is greatly appreciated!  Thank you so much!!! :)

Offline Vecila

• Members
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »
I have the Bredehoft book on Hobbs, Brockunier & Co.  Reeded handles are found on their glass.  One must remember that handles are usually hand work.  This means a certain amount of discretionary design by glassworkers.  I've seen examples of plain handles, reeded handles and twisted reeded handles on Hobbs pieces.  Some handle designs lend themselves better to some patterns but there's no telling what might have posessed some glassworkers to vary from the usual.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 04:52:49 PM »
Reeded handles and polished pontils are not indicative of a single company.  For example, several companies that made glass pitchers with these features are:

Phoenix
Hobbs, Brockunier
Geo. Duncan & Sons
New England
etc., etc.

An excellent book by Lee Marple - Phoenix Art Glass - covers many pitcher shapes, glass colours, decorative techniques both by Phoenix and other contemporary firms.  It is very available through various internet book sites.

Sid

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 05:39:42 PM »
Another excellent reference book is Opalesecent Glass From A-Z by Heacock and Elmore.

Please post a picture of your Blueina cruet. I've never seen one and there are none shown in Heacock's Oil Cruets From A-Z (another excellent reference book).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand