No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glen, remember me saying I was going to buy Carnival, well..  (Read 6086 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Glen, remember me saying I was going to buy Carnival, well..
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 05:31:00 PM »
Quote from: "Glen"
I won't bore you with any more here.

Glen your words are never boring! Fascinating, educating, absorbing: yes; boring: NO.  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 06:39:07 PM »
Well Glen,

I must admit I feel rather small for being so dismissive about marigold  :oops: , so to try and make up for it I went on a trawl in our local antique centre and the price of just the bog standard bowl is STUPID :evil: two bits of green, a dragon and lotus bowl (£195 and NT) and a grape and cable (£48.00) and an oange peacock on fence ( £250 and NT), so I will keep looking at the carboots :lol:

Barbara

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 07:03:43 PM »
Anne - thank you, that's such a kind thing to say. Roses for you.

Barbara - oh no, I didn't mean to make you feel like that. I'm so sorry. You should always say what you think. There's no need to feel you were dismissive about marigold. Not everyone likes it. If a piece speaks to you, if you look at it and say to yourself "I like this, I want to pick it up and study the pattern and the colours", if you find yourself imagining where you will put it in your house.....then it's the piece for you. Don't ever get anything just because someone says you ought. There's no right or wrong with Carnival Glass. If you like it - that's enough.

Carnival is not as easy to find as it was even 5 or 10 years ago. That's part of the fun though - finding it, tracking it down! My daughter bought a superb cobalt blue, stippled Fruits & Flowers bonbon (Northwood) at our local boot sale in the summer. She paid £6 for it. There's a tiny chip on the foot, but my daughter wasn't bothered about that. It displays well and is a special part of her own collection.

If I were to give you one piece of advice as to what to collect I would say this:

Listen to your heart

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand