No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Avem salt or ?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
Avem salt or ?
« on: December 08, 2010, 11:40:14 PM »
this is the best example of this design I've seen.
I have another which is awful, very shoddy work.

Using info from Atita's Zoo ( great site  :hiclp:) and the few that I've seen myself.

1st Avem but, the bowl is wrong

2nd impression Salviati but the wings don't start at the neck.

Did Avem use different sizes in height ?

Or Seguso vary the wing application.

Or someone else made it ?  :chky: :chky:

martin

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Avem salt or ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:48:09 AM »
Others may differ but I would say Fratelli Toso. 

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 12:51:25 AM »
The reason why I say this is for one look at your swan's eyes.  Please compare to this swan I found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Murano-Fratelli-Toso-Pink-Lattimo-Copper-Latticino-Swan-/310272765076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483db2ac94

tam bam

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 01:00:57 AM »
Hi Tam

I can see what you mean, the eyes are the same, but I can't see any other resemblance.

The one next to it by the big one looks a likely candidate.
Then again that one looks to have the wings attached to the neck, so more likely AVEM.

thanks as always Tam
martin

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 01:13:13 AM »
Blimey I just noticed the price he asking on your link Tam, hope no one pays that ridiculous amount.  :24:
martin

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 01:32:39 AM »
I have a picture of a swan with a Decora Import label that looks almost just like your swan except that it has a small crest, instead of the thicker one that yours has. All Decora things I've been able to identify have been AVeM, so the swan I have in the picture is probably AVeM. I would put the picture on, but it isn't mine. The wings are just like your swan and the bill is small like your swan's. It may be that AVeM just made a swan with a Salviati-Toso like crest. I agree with Tami that the head looks Toso.

These swans were made with different types of bowls. Some of the bowls are diamond-quilt (balloton molded), others are swirled, and others have glass with spoke like ribs coming from the pontil area. Others are plain. I use the wings and crest to make a guess at who did a swan, but it is not fool-proof. For example, there are AVeM swans that have separate wings. I have sold a lot of the swans salts in the past. I usually just called them Venetian if they didn't have a label. There are few that I have been totally sure about, which is why there are so few of them in the zoo.

For your swan -- I have the feeling that it is AVeM despite the crest. That AVeM is a tricky company. They did everything, often modeling their work on things done by other companies.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 01:36:02 AM »
BTW, the neck of your swan is much like a Salviati swan. I read once they were cardholders, but I couldn't figure out how they were supposed to do this. The swan in my picture does not have this tuft of feathers, which makes me think that maybe yours could be Salviati or F Toso. Your swan is one of the tough ones to call, but "Venetian" is totally okay if you want to be sure of being correct.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 02:07:11 AM »
Okay, I just found this.  What do you all think?

http://www.edensauctions.com/cgi-bin/qs/show-item.pl?19087|1

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 02:25:57 AM »
Oh, well done Tam  :hiclp:

Thanks Anita  :hiclp:
martin

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 02:46:59 AM »
This picture doesn't show the label but this person is claiming to have one with a label.  Perhaps you can email this person and maybe this person will email you a pic of the label.

http://www.edensauctions.com/cgi-bin/qs/show-item.pl?20072|1

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand