No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help ID this smoky vase with applied rings - ID = Caithness  (Read 1139 times)

Offline charliepedro

• Members
Hi folks,

This is my first post so please forgive me if I don't follow expected forum protocol in some way. I have a piece of glass which I believe to be Scandinavian, although my research thus far has failed to offer any conclusive ID. The vase weighs 993 grams - stands just over 9'' tall with an overall diameter of 2.5'' - wall thickness is about 8mm and is formed with brownish-smoky glass encased in clear glass with applied rings . Does anyone have any suggestions or better, a definite maker/designer? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes, Charlie

P.S. Apologies for the small pics, I couldn't work out how to 'fit to canvas' in paint :oS

Mod: Image sorted for you

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Please help ID this smoky scandinavian? vase with applied rings
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:16:16 AM »
Caithness Glass, Scotland. Probably a Domhnall OBroin design, c. mid-1960s.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 07:42:39 AM »
If you use a scanner, it helps to scan only the photograph by defining the selection rather than scan the full tablet.  Just pull a square over the bit you want scanned before hitting GO.

Offline charliepedro

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 05:21:04 PM »
Thanks both for your time replying - well I was way off the mark - haven't seen much mid-century Caithness, only the generic speckled stuff which I utterly detest, so this will be a new area for me to get to grips with.

Thanks again, Charlie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand