No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small heavy clear glass vase with colour swirl for ID = Chribska  (Read 9827 times)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Re: Small heavy clear glass vase with colour swirl for ID
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »
It is Chribska.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 03:56:39 PM »
Jindrich:

Is the VUUS label on the other piece incorrect, or is VUUS the same as Chribska, or did Chribska take over VUUS designs, or is the piece I pointed out not the same as Roco's? I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to understand.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 10:29:06 PM »
Thank you all very much for this interesting discussion!
So this seems to be Chribska, recent production.

David, your investigation on the labeled piece is also very interesting, perhaps VUUS developed a sort of "role model" for this kind of design?

Anne, your version of this vase is very nice!

Well, although he does have a fabulous collection, he's not always right in his attributions.
Astrid, you may be right here, he attributes Riedel to Germany :)

Greetings from Austria
Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Small heavy clear glass vase with colour swirl for ID = Chribska
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 02:21:23 PM »
I've got doubts that these vases are recent production... I've also got one, about 16cm high, which has got very significant wear to the base.  Also, the colours are not necessarily 'modern'. 

I would suggest we still keep this topic opened.  :usd:

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »

Re. David's post:

"Is the VUUS label on the other piece incorrect, or is VUUS the same as Chribska, or did Chribska take over VUUS designs, or is the piece I pointed out not the same as Roco's? I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to understand."

VUUS is not something I know a lot about either David. It certainly looks possible that this where the design originated. I do know that Chribska may have produced many designs that originated elsewhere so both could be true perhaps, VUUS and then also later Chribska production as guaranteed by Jindra. The idea seems interesting to me, given the near identical designs from VUUS and Chribska.

It is an interesting idea.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 04:58:05 PM »
My version too has lots of age related wear on the base which led me to believe it was almost as old as me ;) but not quite.
Anne E.B

Offline Torysa

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Czechoslovak glass
    • SK
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
Hi all:
I know it's quite a long time from the last post to this topic but I also would like to find out something more about the designer of the small heavy vase. One of mines has a VUUS label on it .  I am attaching photo of it for a reference. Also, I came across another similar small vase with VUUS label on the internet so I am posting images of it too. Unfortunately these images are not mine and I do not know who made them to ask for permission to public them here. If it is against the rules of this forum,  could you please remove them? Thank you.
Interesting similarity of colour swirl can be seen on Jiri Suhajek's vases published in his 1989 catalogue on Jindra's cs/sklo pages (pic. no 20):
http://picasaweb.google.com/104509467784289017506/JiriSuhajek1989?authkey=Gv1sRgCN67hqiExqi4FQ#5443643566003048402
Could this possibly lead to Jiri Suhajek as a possible designer of the vase? Thank you.
Torysa

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 07:40:36 PM »
Interesting, Torysa!  I wonder what VUUS was?  The label certainly doesn't look very modern. 
There is still so much to discover and learn about Czech glass.

Offline Torysa

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Czechoslovak glass
    • SK
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 07:58:11 PM »
Thanks Anik for answer. VUUS stands for 'Výzkumní ústav užitkového skla' as David mentioned earlier in this topic: "...It even has a label, VUUS, which Langhamer, p. 282, has as VĂ˝zkumnĂ˝  Ăšstav UĹľitkovĂ©ho Skla, Novy Bor. Ricke, p.423, states that the name translates as "Utitility Glass Research Institute." He writes it researched, "among other things, the shaping of of hollow forms with a wood stick, the decoration of decoration of objects with regularly and irregularly twisted glass threads, the application of flat and relief surface blobs." So the piece here is is consistent with what VUUS produced. Research stopped in the early 70's and the glassworks closed in 1976.... "

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 08:21:43 PM »
That much I know (I did read what David wrote on the previous page  8) ).  But it seems our knowledge, or at least my knowledge, of VUUS is very limited.  Who were the designers?  How many designs came from there?  Did they cooperate/collaborate with other glassworks?  And why is a research institute producing (what appears to be) a large number of one design? 

Ah, so many questions. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand