No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Close-packed , window cut, Strathern or Vasart or Ysart 1970's ish ??  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I think this is Strathern from the 1970's. Or perhaps Vasart/Ysart.

If it isn't any of the above then I'm prepared to eat a portion of burnt haggis in the latter part of January  :thud: !

Height is 5 cm , diameter at widest point is 7.5 cm. I've tried looking for  signature & date canes but I don't think there are any . There is some glue to the base left by a label .

Thanks for any help/comments ! :sc:
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasseyed

• Members
    • England
    • Bridges Antiques
Re: Close-packed , window cut, Strathern or Vasart or Ysart 1970's ish ??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:55:14 PM »
I'd love to send you off to cremate a haggis but I think Strathearn is the correct diagnosis  :hiclp: Can anyone confirm :sg:
Hazel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:34:05 AM »
Yes, Strathearn.

See Richard More's page for PSF142 design (and also his signed and dated example, and then there are also the smaller versions)

KevinH

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 07:07:09 PM »
Thanks ever so much Hazel and Kev for the information. What a superb archive of photos produced by  Richard !

These weights certainly are at the top of Strathearns' range it seems. Perhaps if they really were limited to just one hundred per year then only 800 odd exist . It seems strange that a date cane wasn't included, though, for a limited edition per year. 

I'm sorry I didn't spell Strathearn correctly , I did try to correct it but was too late !

As for haggis...I did try it once but found it very dry....perhaps to flambe in whiskey is really the best way to eat it !! :sn:

Thanks again, Mike.
Mike

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »

I'm not sure where the 100 pieces per year bit fits in: the spokes and closepacks were produced in many, many thousands and dominated their production.  A few were facetted in various ways, but most were left as made. I had over 400 Strathearns at one point......

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 05:42:56 PM »
Hi Allen,

It's just that Richard mentioned in his description that the PSF142 design could have been limited to 100 per year. Perhaps these were the signed ones ?

Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 05:49:36 PM »
Hi Mike

That makes sense. I guess all the unusual / signed designs were small production runs.

I'll ask Dave Moir whether he remembers any numbers next time I see him.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 06:10:40 PM »
Thanks Alan,

That would be great ! I havn't seen them come up on ebay , but I havn't been looking for them so it doesn't really say much at all   :usd: !! Just another thought here, there are two canes towards the centre that are slightly joined together, so a slight fault . Perhaps only perfect examples were signed. ...?  

Ta, Mike.
Mike

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 05:46:54 PM »
... there are two canes towards the centre that are slightly joined together, so a slight fault . Perhaps only perfect examples were signed. ...?
Canes joined does not mean a fault - just that they happen to have moved towards each other during the making. With "closepacked" weights, it is often easy to find several canes "joined together".

Strathearn weights were either signed or not (and as Alan has said, the majority were not). It had nothing to do with a "level of perfection". There may have been some which had a signature cane but turned out to be too poorly made to sell, but minor faults (even several miinor faults) would not have stopped most being sold.
KevinH

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 05:22:59 PM »
Thanks Kev,

It's good to know that conjoined canes arn't classed as a fault (I didn't know!) and are just a couple  attracted to each other in the heat of the moment !   :kissy: <----- two canes !

Cheers  :ru:
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand